Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • Author

jmwking
    Participant

I like riding in Schaeffer, but rainfall at my house near the beltway is often very different than what falls 20 miles away in Germantown. And it’s been an obnoxiously showery summer. I found a really nice tool from NOAA that gives rainfall totals around the area on a map.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/map/?&zoom=9&center=38.9,-77.4&obs=true&obs_type=precip&precip_interval=24&obs_popup=true&obs_density=1&mrms=true&mrms_opacity=60

I’m still playing with it, but as far as I can tell the displayed numbers are from various reporting stations for the last 24 hours. The map coloring is estimated from radar reports, and can be set up to 72 hours back. Neither is completely reliable, but together they paint a much better overall picture of where it’s wet or dry than either my back yard or local news.

I’ll probably use it to choose a different trail rather than discover I’m riding a too-wet Schaeffer half-way in. If others find it useful, perhaps the link could be added to the trail status reports page.

Caveat: The time chooser for the color map, “MRMS Precipitation”, at the bottom of the menu only seems to work properly in Chrome, not Firefox or IE for me; it defaults to 1 hour, and the time selection part gets chopped off. I haven’t figured out a way to get the color map to default to 24, 48, or 72 hours, either.

-jk

Rick Meyer (livedb)
    Participant

Good stuff! Amazing ! Now showing .44 in Germantown, but only .24 in Boyds. Big difference for a small proximity.
    Thanks!

jmwking
    Participant

Good stuff! Amazing ! Now showing .44 in Germantown, but only .24 in Boyds. Big difference for a small proximity.
    Thanks!

Remember: sometimes a single reporting station has bad data. They get brought online, but not always maintained carefully. And sometimes a really tight shower rolls through.

-jk

BottomBraket
    Participant

1. I see that there is no place for the user to enter a date. Sometimes I do a trail conditions report a day or 2 after the ride.

2. It looks like there’s a bug in the date reported. Yesterday on July 21 I submitted a Black Hill report and today it shows up as July 11, 2015.

3. The time lag from reporting to listing makes the Trail Conditions page less useful.

Sean Johnson
    Participant

1. I see that there is no place for the user to enter a date. Sometimes I do a trail conditions report a day or 2 after the ride.

2. It looks like there’s a bug in the date reported. Yesterday on July 21 I submitted a Black Hill report and today it shows up as July 11, 2015.

3. The time lag from reporting to listing makes the Trail Conditions page less useful.

The July 11th thing must of been a typo. I fixed that for you. If you put the date in the message it will be added in case it is not the same day.

BottomBraket
    Participant

The July 11th thing must of been a typo. I fixed that for you. If you put the date in the message it will be added in case it is not the same day.

This is what I put in the message: “2015-07-21 : MD-Black Hill : Trails are mostly good, dry to tacky and damp. Some play-dough mud in spots. Go ride. ”
    PS: There are other out-of-order dates in the list:
    Patapsco North
    Trail Status: Green
    Status Updated: July 20, 2015:

Rosaryville
    Trail Status: Yellow
    Status Updated: July 12, 2015

Seneca Bluffs
    Trail Status: Yellow
    Status Updated: July 7, 2015

wakefield
    Status Updated: July 12, 2015:

Seneca Ridge-Black Rock Trailhead
    Status Updated: July 16, 2015:

BottomBraket
    Participant

When I try to go to the page, I get:

Error 404 – page not found.

jmwking
    Participant

When I try to go to the page, I get:

Error 404 – page not found.

I’m getting a 404, too…

-jk

jmwking
    Participant

Just thought I’d toss this out again: I got almost an inch of rain today. Schaeffer got about a tenth of an inch.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/map/?&zoom=9&center=38.9,-77.4&obs=true&obs_type=precip&precip_interval=24&obs_popup=true&obs_density=1&mrms=true&mrms_interval=48&mrms_opacity=60

It helps to figure where we can ride…

-jk

Todd Bauer

Just thought I’d toss this out again: I got almost an inch of rain today. Schaeffer got about a tenth of an inch.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/map/?&zoom=9&center=38.9,-77.4&obs=true&obs_type=precip&precip_interval=24&obs_popup=true&obs_density=1&mrms=true&mrms_interval=48&mrms_opacity=60

-jk

Jim, what are your thoughts on how to use that data? A link, with some information about it, in the Where To Ride section? It certainly is amazing how much of a difference two relatively close locations receive in rain.

jmwking
    Participant

-jk

Jim, what are your thoughts on how to use that data? A link, with some information about it, in the Where To Ride section? It certainly is amazing how much of a difference two relatively close locations receive in rain.

That was my thought. Link it on both the where to ride page and on the trial status page with a brief description of how to use it.

-jk

Martin Fernandez
    Keymaster

Alrighty then…

Several updates in the couple of days:

1. When you submit a status report (MUST BE LOGGED IN) it will update the status report page and venue page automatically. No more approvals. Editors still get alerted of an update and who made it. This way we know who is doing what, and if we have na issue we can quickly address it.

2. The status page now allows for quick searches. Try it – just start typing the name of the trail you want a status update for; i.e. Schaefer, or Hoyles, or fountainhead. The status page will show whatever trail system matches what you type.

3. You can also, if you want, sort the list by name or date updated. Click it once and it will show you newest on top, click it again and it will show you oldest…

4. We have created a simple page; http://www.more-mtb.org/str that is perfect to bookmark on your telephone – so you can submit updates from the trail. BOOKMARK IT! This form also requires you to be logged in.

5. We also changed the display – made the headers just display a colored bullet next to the status – a little less distracting then having everything in color.

6. Finally we also added the status to the actual venue pages.

The last thing I’m doing is adding trail liaison contacts to every Venue page – that will take me a little while, but I’ll get to it…

There are a few other enhancements that we are working on specifically for trail liaisons so that they can help us keep the venues, events and status updates as current as possible.

All of the above has been done with your input – which is very much appreciated.

Also – Please, use the comments on the event pages. We now have RSVPs to help liaisons and ride leaders get a sense who is coming to a ride and all users have the ability to comment on each event – we hope that is where discussions take place – in one place.

Thanks for your patience while Jason and I figured things out. We had to get a little extra help from the outside, but with your feedback we’re making things happen.

Martin

BottomBraket
    Participant

Alrighty then…

Several updates in the couple of days:

3. You can also, if you want, sort the list by name or date updated. Click it once and it will show you newest on top, click it again and it will show you oldest…

Martin

Yes, yes, YES!

Thank you for all your hard work.

Martin Fernandez
    Keymaster

You’re welcome 🙂

Todd Bauer

Unbelievably fantastic work you guys! It looks, and works so nice now.

Thanks for all the work.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.