Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • Author

Martin Fernandez
    Keymaster

We’re currently testing a Trail Status Report page on our website and would love to get your input.

Right now a small group of volunteers (let me know if you want to pitch in) are in charge of updating the status reports that come in from users in the field via our status page. We’re hoping that soon our users will be able to do it themselves from the trailhead.

Please post your thoughts and ideas here – and let us know what you think of the new page…

Also, please keep posting trail updates on the forums.
    Thanks!

jmwking
    Participant

Is there a way to expire reports on the status page? I looked today, and after 2-3 inches of rain over the weekend, most of the reports predate that rain. Who knows what things are like…

Maybe the system can fade the color after a couple days just to make folks aware that it might not be current if they look for the color but don’t look closely at the date.

(Of course, as a color blind person, I double check everything I can when color is involved! Thankfully, the colors on the status page are clear enough for me.)

-jk

dan_hudson
    Participant

+1!!!

I like the idea of fading the original color to indicate age. Let folks know that the latest report was good (or bad) but that it is an old report. To keep it more-simple, maybe automatically do this to any report after a week?

Going along with that could be a macros that a trusted user could use to flip all the condition reports to “faded” status after an event like Saturday. I think we can all agree anything before Saturday is pretty useless, at least as far as wet or dry.

Another idea could be a modifier to the base color that shows a particular park/area has a special hazard – something like a bridge being out. The trails could be dry but they would show a little hazard icon in the corner that would grab folks attention to actually read the report to see what’s up. That could be one bit of complication too far though.

All-in-all, a good idea. Great evolution of Michael’s conditions thread.

Brad E
    Participant

I like the color fade idea. Bold->half tone->none after a certain number of days. A moderator reset across the board would be good too for major rain and snow events.

Todd Bauer

Just remember, the condition reports are only as good as the reports we receive. So, we REALLY need folks that ride to submit reports when they are done. We didn’t get any reports after the recent rain, even though I know people went riding. This only works when everyone participates.

Brad E
    Participant

That means people would have to admit to riding in poor conditions. Nobody does that. 😉

BottomBraket
    Participant

Yes, it looks good. But, I’m gonna miss the 20xy Trail Conditions- ANYWHERE thread. It’s been a good friend since 2012.

BottomBraket
    Participant

Do we get a quick link header at the top of the forum page? I suggest that it goes right between Full Calendar and Where to Ride. It should become the most useful, most viewed link at http://www.more-mtb.org

Todd Bauer

Yes, it looks good. But, I’m gonna miss the 20xy Trail Conditions- ANYWHERE thread. It’s been a good friend since 2012.

I say we keep the thread going, at least until the status pages get 100% ironed out, and people embrace the concept. It has been a good thing for many years Michael. Thanks for being the person who kept it alive and well.

BottomBraket
    Participant

Aye aye captain.

I say we keep the thread going, at least until the status pages get 100% ironed out, and people embrace the concept. It has been a good thing for many years Michael. Thanks for being the person who kept it alive and well.

Brad E
    Participant

Do we get a quick link header at the top of the forum page? I suggest that it goes right between Full Calendar and Where to Ride. It should become the most useful, most viewed link at http://www.more-mtb.org

There is a link at the top of the main page. Five blue rectangles in the orange field. Far right -> “Reports” Storm cloud with lightning image.

Used to be just “report”, I suggested “trail reports” or “condition reports”, looks like I only bought an “S”

Martin Fernandez
    Keymaster

Yes Brad! you got an “S” 🙂 I tried both trail reports and status reports but the text wraps on the buttons. I am going to make it a navigation item though – as suggested above…

Thanks for the input and help!

M

BottomBraket
    Participant

Yes Brad! you got an “S” :-) I tried both trail reports and status reports but the text wraps on the buttons. I am going to make it a navigation item though – as suggested above…

Thanks for the input and help!

M

It seems like most folks use the term “Trail Conditions”. I hardly ever go to the MORE main page, so a quick link at the top of every page would be best. In the long run, I’ll likely bookmark in my browsers.

BottomBraket
    Participant

Today, looking through the tread seeking latest reports- very tedious.

I’d like to be able to sort the reports in REVERSE chronological order. That’s why I request the format:

2015-07-13 : MD Trail Name : Trails are ______. (including leading zeros on month and day, very important)

in the 2015 Trail Conditions- ANYWHERE thread. An alpha-numeric sort will sort the reports by year-month-date : state : Trail name.

Any new post in the MD/VA/DC area is much more useful to me than a 21 day old post of the specific trail that I want to ride. It’s pointless for anyone to read 7 day old threads if it’s been raining for the last 3 days.

This was what did not work with the old-old Trail Conditions Reports (before 2012 Trail Conditions- ANYWHERE). As I recall, they were sorted by Trail Name, month-day-year. Maybe worse that that for lack of leading zeros, forcing October to come after January and the 10th to come after the 1st. T’was very hard to find a useful, new report. By the way, the old-old Trail Conditions Reports were never again updated by anyone after 2012 Trail Conditions- ANYWHERE came into use.

Martin Fernandez
    Keymaster

OK – I’ll change sorting by the date of the update – don;t think that should be a big deal.

I do encourage users to also use the forum. And, I will also be embedding mtb project maps to help – that way there are multiple sources.

Thanks for the feedback.

M

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.