Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

saxman
    Participant

I hit the trails on the Ten Mile Creek side of Black Hill again. I’ve forgotten how steep the terrain is over there. Cool Spring Run is, in my opinion, probably the most technical trail in MoCo, lots of roots and some rocks and very steep terrain. These are very underutilized trails because they are isolated from the rest of the park and not exactly easy to access. I never saw another soul the whole time I was riding there on a very beautiful Sunday morning.

Once you clear Cool Spring and get into the loops, the loops are pretty much doubletrack and fire roads, but the climbs…oh, my! I run the loops in a counter clockwise direction. First climb out on Turkey Hill Loop is steeper and longer than anything at Little Bennett, including Prescott Road or the steep paved Purdum Hill. I had to visit Granny here! There is one nice piece of singletrack connecting to the westernmost loop (Osprey Heights). On the return trip, the Turkey Hill loop runs right along the lake and is one of the most picturesque sections of trail on this side of Greenbrier.

If you really want to work up some cardio…give these bad boys a try!

sierra11861
    Participant

Steeper than Loggers Trail from the parking lot? I have to see this

DKEG
    Participant

All I was thinking the one and only time I road those trails was “fall line trails”. Nice area but man was it in need of rerouting.

There are trails (fire roads) on the other side of the creek also. I wonder if we could develop that side into a MTB area?

dan_hudson
    Participant

Lazy link to a thread + reply from a while back. Lots of potential west of Clarksburg Rd but private/occupied land complicates the ability to completely round the lake. As on most trails in MoCo, Austin is the best source of info. But with his hands full at LB and others, be great to have a fresh-face step up. Chance to make a contrib as important as new-LB, SRT, SVT!

http://www.more-mtb.org/forum/showthread.php?p=211378#post211378

Brad E
    Participant

I rode it once in January this year on one of the fluke 65* days we had. It’s the steepest I’ve encountered in Montgomery county. Loose, rocky and most times just straight up. It’s one of the few places I’ve legitimately used 22×36 and not been able to clear a hill due to loss of traction even crawling along.

The double-track grass hills, while steep, are pretty boring. Once you get to the top you ride a ring around the top of the hill before plunging down the other side on grass double-track.

I’d share a gps plot but it’s all screwy since we geocached several times along the way. Hike-a-bike and off trail excursions etc.

BottomBraket
    Participant

I rode there earlier this year. Cool Spring Run is kinda fun, but has some washed-out-straight-down-the-hill trials and one right u-turn uphill that’s imposible to climb.

I found the double-track grass hills extremely tedious. The connector in the wood between Lake View and Ospray Heights was about the only part I found worth repeating. My conclusion was the trails were not worth the life threating ride down Clarksburg RD to get to the trailhead. If we could cut through from Blackhill RD to the adjacent niehborhood road, that might be more appealling.

I’ll try it a few more times to see if it grow on me.

saxman
    Participant

@sierra11861 233949 wrote:

Steeper than Loggers Trail from the parking lot? I have to see this

Yes. My GPS track recorded a sustained 20% grade up the grassy Turkey Hill trail, and the Cool Spring section it hit 27%. I’m told the GPS units tend to be very conservative and the grade could be 5 to 10% steeper

I’ve ridden Little Ben for over 10 years, and I can count the number of times I’ve tried to climb Loggers on one hand. The first section of Loggers is steep, especially right at the switchback, but once you clear that, it’s not too bad.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who couldn’t clear that impossible right turn / climb on Cool Spring Run. I do agree the terrain in this part of the park has some absolutely amazing potential. By my estimate, you have about another 50 feet of elevation change to play with over Little Bennett’s terrain.

The big grassy trails don’t bother me, especially as a diversion. I wouldn’t ride these trails every day, but I don’t mind making them part of the mix, and again, the part of the trail that runs alongside the lake is as scenic as anything we have in MoCo.

Austin
    Participant

Just to note. Trail Conservancy is working with MoCo on improving this section and the possible future link up to Little Bennett, which as you know still has land owner obstacles. I’ll post more later as things progress. The biggest obstacle now for a current loop around west side of lake is the need for a boardwalk down by the Clooper Road end of the park. Dave Magill has also let MoCo know of MORE’s interest.

Austin

@dan_hudson 233953 wrote:

Lazy link to a thread + reply from a while back. Lots of potential west of Clarksburg Rd but private/occupied land complicates the ability to completely round the lake. As on most trails in MoCo, Austin is the best source of info. But with his hands full at LB and others, be great to have a fresh-face step up. Chance to make a contrib as important as new-LB, SRT, SVT!

http://www.more-mtb.org/forum/showthread.php?p=211378#post211378

TonyP
    Participant

Michael B. and I ride these trails frequently. It is most often at the end of a HMC/BH/LB loop that we do training for the long XC races. All the assessments in the thread are right in that the trails are tough and do not offer a lot of tight single track. But if you are looking to train hard for races you won’t find a better place in MoCo. I look at it as somewhat of a mini Hanky Mountain climb (Turkey Run) and Dowells Draft descent (Cool Spring)! My hope is that these trails stay tough and do not get changed.

There is great work being done in LB and you can still get in a good workout there, but the rooty and rocky goodness is part of training as well and that is disappearing from LB. I know we have the shed, but it has just been really nice having some tough trails close to home.

Jake76
    Participant

Wanted to bump this thread back up. It looks like the county has started a new trail from across from the boat launch along Clarksburg rd. Looks as though it is going to circle the west side of the lake and connect to these trails. Good stuff happening!

Rick Meyer (livedb)
    Participant

Yes they are!!
    Black Hills West is started. The parks and the Eagle Scouts have made some good progress so far.
    The trail has been flagged up to Osprey Heights loop, and is waiting final confirmation from parks.

Here is a segment I created when flagging.

Strava Black Hill West Flagging

I hope to lead some work days out there when I can get a free weekend. Please contact Dave Magill if you want to help out and get on the list.

BottomBraket
    Participant

Lookin’ good in da hood!

VFDRider
    Participant

Progress update? Thanks for all the hard work!!

Rick Meyer (livedb)
    Participant

Well, YES!! 🙂

Look here on the forums for Black Hill West and you will see lots has been going on!

We have finished over a mile after today’s work day. We had 33 volunteers out!

Next date set for Januarry 10th! Come on out!

Todd Bauer

Rick, we should add that the first section off Clarksburg road, is not complete, and does not connect to the section that we have been working on yet. Please Do Not ride this section yet, as it not finished, and ends at at piece of property that is private, for the time being.

Montgomery Parks owns the land, and is in the process of revising the lease. The lot will eventually be reduced in size, and won’t go all the way to the waterline. Once this happens, the section the Boy Scouts worked on will be completed, will cross the new property boundary, and connect up with the section MORE has been working on. This whole process is a few months out. So, please avoid the first section of trail, and don’t cross through the residents yard.

If you want to check out work we have been doing, it’s best to join one of our work days. Next on is January 10th. Parking is restricted at the end of Ganley Rd. and is only permitted during work days, and by special permit, at this time.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.