Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

rob
    Participant

Any reason parking isn’t suggested on the little half road off of Darnestown just past Dufief? Where the tunnel comes out.

Just curious…:cool:

Bioteknik
    Participant

Not sure why.. they actually unlocked the barrier and the MoCo website lists it as an official parking location on the trail. I used to park there a lot last year when I would do some trail runs at lunch.

Tom Newton

The gate has been locked in the past. Not sure if there was any official decision on that. I will ask the parks folks if they have any guidance.

BTW, that road is known as American Way (it continues on the other side of the creek, there are houses over there with that as their address).

rob
    Participant

Got it. I actually ride to the trailhead, but I was curious since it seems like a perfect spot, out of the way, etc.

Thanks for asking Tomn….

Tom Newton

Parking has always been an issue for the Muddy Branch trail. There is parking at the downstream end (Blockhouse Point or Pennyfield Lock), but the only other good parking lot is at the Potomac Horse Center. And it’s not very easy to get to the trail from there (they don’t want us riding between the buildings any more to access the trail).

Walking through the area with Bob Turnbull a few weeks ago, he mentioned that they are trying to get approval to build a new connector under the power lines (right across the street from the horse center) to make it easier for trail users to park there and access the trail. It would only be a couple hundred yards long but it would provide a better way to get to the trail as an alternative to Quince Orchard Road (or the horse center property).

The spot mentioned, on the upstream end (at Route 28, where the original post was referring to) has always been a question mark as to whether they would allow parking there. They had that gate locked for a long time and never explained the official policy.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.