Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

JFritsch
    Participant

Mountain bikers and equestrains have actually worked very closely together to keep from being kicked out of the parks by the hiker only crowd in Montgomery County.

Best bet is to try different times of day (if possible). I’ve also found that on very hot and cold days equestrains tend not to be out, or even many hikers.

saxman
    Participant

Weekday mornings (the earlier the better) are usually pretty good times to hit Little Bennett without worrying about too much interference. Not much you can do about the horse droppings, though. They always seem to be right in the middle of the best line.

sierra11861
    Participant

If I were king I would issue a “live and let live” declaration. You can ride your horses through the entire park anytime you want 24/7 but you have to clean up your horse poo. So bring a bag and a shovel and attach it to your saddle. The bikers and hikers don’t foul the footpath, why should anyone else be allowed to?

saxman
    Participant

I rode at Little Bennett today. The Browning Run trail is really getting “worn in” and has become very, very fast over the majority of its length. It’s really a blast to ride now. There’s still one or two trouble spots, but definitely a 110% improvement in its condition over the last 3 to 4 months. Most of the Little Bennett trails are in good shape with only a couple of mudholes to deal with. Lots of horse poop to avoid, though!

sierra11861
    Participant

Road Saturday and Sunday this weekend. Conditions were perfect. Met two guys from Virginia, they were very impressed with the trails. We rode together, they killed me on the climbs. I did the best I could to keep up. We hit every trial at least once, some twice.

saxman
    Participant

Conditions are still great at Little Bennett. The new Browning Run is very, very fast and flowy The new Windy Ridge trail is still a bit green, but definitely worth the look see. New Hard Cider is still under construction.

If you’ve ever wanted to ride Little Bennett, but were put off by the mud stories, now is the time to ride. This season, we’ve seen a “bizarro universe” as Little Ben has been drier and firmer than the neighboring trail systems, which has never happened in the 11 years I’ve been riding the upper MoCo trails.

sierra11861
    Participant

This is one of the things I like about LB is that it is rarely “too dry” so that to make it lose and force you to be overly cautious. It was the fastest I have ever ridden it yesterday 7-8-12 but you still had decent grip. The tree down east of the north Clarksburg Rd. parking lot is in a really bad spot.:( Please somebody cut it away!!

saxman
    Participant

All the downed trees are gone, save one near the end of the Purdum Trail by the Burnt Hill Road parking lot and one down on the still under construction Hard Cider, which is going to be another great new trail when complete. You can really have some fun making new loops using the new trails, and the surface is about as dry as I’ve ever seen it.

On some of our night rides, we used to use Prescott Road as a climb out after going down to the Western Piedmont Trail on the then-opened Dark Branch Trail. Prescott road is now heavily eroded, overgrown ,and has lots of debris to the point where it is close to unrideable. I don’t believe they are maintaining this road anymore as it is no longer included on the trail maps.

For those who miss the old Hoyles Mill Bike Wash, I would recommend using the ford of Little Bennett Creek on the Western Piedmont Trail up near the northern end of the park. It’s a pretty wide crossing, and the water is fairly deep, even mid-drought.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.