Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Austin
    Participant

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Although not officially opened, the new Browning Run Trail is all but finished. Two exceptions to note are the two stream crossings. One will be armored and the other will get a bridge soon. Other than a few tweaks it’s ready to ride, and needs users to enjoy it and wear it in.

Trail Conservancy built most of the trail through a grant from the Recreational Trail Program. Besides the park’s trail planning staff, volunteers who helped build the trail were from MORE, the Boy Scouts, A church group, local equestrians and hikers.

More to come.

Austin Steo
    MORE Liaison
    LittleBennett@more-mtb.org
    and at Trail Conservancy:
    austin@trailconservancy.org
    301-518-5443 direct

Todd Bauer

Great work Austin. You’re doing amazing things in MoCo. :thumbsup:

denisvtt
    Participant
    wrench177;217157 wrote:
    great work austin. You’re doing amazing things in moco. :thumbsup:

+1

(23456789)

TonyP
    Participant

I was on it Wednesday and had a great time. It is a fast, flowy, fun trail. Michael B and myself will make sure to contribute heavily to the wearing in process!
    Thanks Austin. You do great work!:thumbsup:

emilhous
    Participant

Hey Austin. As we discussed during the trail work in Emmitsburg today, i was able to get out to Little Bennett late in the afternoon and rode the new trail both ways. I completely missed it yesterday when I rode with my son–I think because we did a counterclosckwise outer loop mixing several trails, including a piece of the old Browning Run. Anyway, great work! Love the flow of it. When it dries out completely, it will be screaming fast.

Thanks!
    Eric

jmcgonigle
    Participant

Anyone have a GPS track of the new trail?

Austin
    Participant

@jmcgonigle 217231 wrote:

Anyone have a GPS track of the new trail?

Here you go:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/120284352#.TpILrCCk4Ls.email

saxman
    Participant

I just tried it today. It’s still green, but you can tell that once this trail wears in, it will be the best trail in the park…at least until the Dark Branch reroute is done. It’s a quantum leap forward over the old Browning Run. It also shows the potential Little Bennett has, both with the size of the park and its topography.

Overall, Little Ben is a bit on the soft side right now. If it rains Monday, we’ll likely have to cancel the Tuesday ride.

saxman
    Participant

I went out on the new Browning Run trail today.

Good news: The bridge has been installed

Bad news: Horses have already torn up a number of sections of the trail. 😡 Overall, the majority of the trail is holding its own, but there are some trouble spots, particularly on the opening stretch heading north from Clarksburg Road and the area immediately past the armored creek crossing.

sierra11861
    Participant

The new Browning Run trail from Clarksburg Road is the best trail in the system. Way to raise the bar!

saxman
    Participant

The new reroute has recovered from the beating it took in December. On some of the more worn-in sections, the trail is swoopy and fast….and there’s more coming with Hard Cider and Dark Branch reroutes in the works. Austin Steo is the MAN!

sierra11861
    Participant

@saxman 226935 wrote:

The new reroute has recovered from the beating it took in December. On some of the more worn-in sections, the trail is swoopy and fast….and there’s more coming with Hard Cider and Dark Branch reroutes in the works. Austin Steo is the MAN!

Austin Steo for president:thumbsup:

sierra11861
    Participant

Road LB today. Trail conditions were perfect. Lower Browning Run was smoking. I think the section after you cross over Tobacco Barn is the best single track run in MD. I made it up Loggers Trail from Kingsley Parking lot without coming off the bike for the first time…I red-lined but it was worth it.

davebo
    Participant

I figured I’d give Schaeffer a break and headed up to Little Bennett for the first time on Saturday. Weather was great and the Browning Run bit seemed like it would have been pretty amazing in perfect conditions. Don’t get me wrong, the weather was great and the ground was dry enough, but those trails were just chock full of horse manure. I tried to think of it as a fun little obstacle course mini-game while I rode, but my desire to not pick horse poo out of my tread before putting the bike back in my car kept my riding more cautious than I would have liked.

Do the regulars have any advice in terms of maybe times of the year those trails see less horse use, or is it pretty constant? Most of the trails didn’t wow me in terms of biking, but that Lower Browning Run was great. Is there any way to make just that part a no-horse route, or is this pretty much just a horse park that’s nice enough to allow bikers? I was surprised because despite all the fresh droppings with flies that scatter up right as you ride by, I didn’t see a single horse that day. Just a few hikers who I’m surprised want to walk through all that.

Todd Bauer

@davebo 228185 wrote:

Do the regulars have any advice in terms of maybe times of the year those trails see less horse use, or is it pretty constant? Most of the trails didn’t wow me in terms of biking, but that Lower Browning Run was great. Is there any way to make just that part a no-horse route, or is this pretty much just a horse park that’s nice enough to allow bikers? .

The trails there are multi-use, like most trails in the area. It’s highly unlikely we’d ever get a “bikes only” trail. Since Little Bennett is surrounded by horse farms, it gets the lion’s share of equestrian traffic. I’m pretty sure there are also schools that use that park for their riding programs. So, horse traffic is consistent and established.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.