Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

saxman
    Participant

The Tuesday rides will start again next Tuesday. We also have a permit for Monday rides that will be led by BottomBraket. I can’t wait to try out these new trails at night. It should be a lot of fun.

If you haven’t ridden the new trails, give them a try!

saxman
    Participant

Okay…we’re going to try again for this Tuesday.

sierra11861
    Participant

My legs are still resting from the MOCO…..How bout Tuesday 10-23? We got a lot of rain today (Monday). I really want to go on this ride!

saxman
    Participant

I think we’ll be okay for tomorrow…and the 23rd. It was dry for a week and the weather should be temperate enough tomorrow to facilitate drying. It also looks like the worst of the rains passed south of Little Bennett and it only received trace to 0.3 inches of rain. That is well below the 0.7 inches which has been my ride / don’t ride threshhold.

I know I can’t ride on the 30th, so the 23rd is a very distinct possibility.

saxman
    Participant

Trail conditions were perfect and all the new trails were a blast. Forget everything you’ve ever heard about Little Bennett in the past. It’s a whole new ballgame. Until there are night rides on the SRT, the closest you will be able to come to that experience are the New Little Bennett night rides. That is no exaggeration. If you don’t believe me…come out and try it for yourself!

Rob Lowe
    Participant

Maybe next week Dave, I was stuck at work till near 5 and there was NO way I was subjecting myself to 2.5 hours of 495/270 no matter how much I wanna do the ride. Hopefully next time I can skip out early, do a bit of preride at BH or SF and then hit LB.

sierra11861
    Participant

Are we on for a night ride 10-23? What parking lot are we meeting in?

saxman
    Participant

Yes. 7:30 PM in the Burnt Hill Road parking lot. See the calendar for directions. It should be a great night for riding with great trail conditions, too.

sierra11861
    Participant

Great ride Tuesday night, I really enjoyed your route for a change.

endolife
    Participant

I just did a short ride in LB, mostly spent clearing storm debris. I encountered a total of 5 places that will require some chainsaw work: Moundbuilder (elevated log crossing trail on the uphill; 5 mins work with chainsaw), Beaver Valley (mess at one of the turns; 10 – 15 mins work), and Stony Brook (3 trees down across the trail, one of them is huge; I’m guessing 45 mins to clear it, the others are 10-minute cut & move on). I don’t know who’s responsible for the maintenance of these trails, but there’s a little work to be done. Post up if you want help. I’m sure there are more trees down than the few that I encountered. In general though, the trails were in pretty good shape considering how much rain fell.

There’s also one spot on Stony Brook where a crater from the root ball of a blown down tree has disrupted the trail. I made a temporary fix by stomping a path straight through the crater, but someone may want to take a look and do something more permanent.

saxman
    Participant

@endolife 235424 wrote:

I just did a short ride in LB, mostly spent clearing storm debris. I encountered a total of 5 places that will require some chainsaw work: Moundbuilder (elevated log crossing trail on the uphill; 5 mins work with chainsaw), Beaver Valley (mess at one of the turns; 10 – 15 mins work), and Stony Brook (3 trees down across the trail, one of them is huge; I’m guessing 45 mins to clear it, the others are 10-minute cut & move on). I don’t know who’s responsible for the maintenance of these trails, but there’s a little work to be done. Post up if you want help. I’m sure there are more trees down than the few that I encountered. In general though, the trails were in pretty good shape considering how much rain fell.

There’s also one spot on Stony Brook where a crater from the root ball of a blown down tree has disrupted the trail. I made a temporary fix by stomping a path straight through the crater, but someone may want to take a look and do something more permanent.

One slight problem: Every trail that you just mentioned are Hiker Only trails. With the exception of Froggy Hollow from the Schoolhouse to Burnt Hill Road, all trails west of Little Bennett Creek are closed to bicycles (Another exception is the Bennett Ridge Trail, which is only open to bicycles if you are camping). Don’t worry, I won’t turn you in to Park Police…this time (LOL).

A new perimeter trail will eventually be opened, and that will be the sole bike trail on the western side of the park. Looking at the terrain and proposed route of the perimeter trail, it’s going to be a pretty amazing ride once it is built.

Mario
    Participant

Saxman,

Have you been on the rest of little Ben (the bike trails) since Sandy blew through? How are the trails? I was thinking of hitting the “new trails” on the old 29er HT tomorrow morning. With the fallback of the clocks, it means one extra hour of daylight on Little Ben in the morning! Sweet!:thumbsup:

sierra11861
    Participant

Road LB today. Here is a quantity and general location of trees that require dismount:

Windy Ridge: 3
    Pine Knob: 2
    Loggers: 2
    Hard Cider: 1
    Dark Branch: 2

Lewisdale: Clear
    Browning Run: Clear
    Tobacco Barn: Clear
    Pine Grove: Clear

Mario
    Participant

Thanks for the updated LB conditions .

Mario
    Participant

Just rode LB and I agree with the previous post about the trees down. All of them need a chainsaw to clear. Although annoying, they are pretty well spaced out and you can get a good “run” in. The trails are fairly dry considering it is Little Ben and all of the rain we just had. The only mud I saw was in the double track on browning run in the open field near Clarksburg road.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.