Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

saxman
    Participant

Our current prolonged dry spell has given the trails a Little Bennett a chance to really dry up. When the trails at Little Ben are dry and fast, it can hold its own with any other trail system. If you’re going to go ride Little Ben…do it now!

The Browning Run reroute has recovered from the battering it took during the winter. It looks like they may have come through with a roller to help compress the trail surface. In any case, the trail is in very good shape. There are still one or two soft spots, but the trail surface is beginning to wear in and firm up. It is one heck of a lot of fun to ride.

bssmith1220

What trails are you guys riding here and where are you parking? I have only been a few times and parked off of clarksburg rd at the bottom of the big hill there, and honestly have never been impressed with the trails at all. Its close to my house though so if I am missing something good there I wanna know!

saxman
    Participant

I like starting at the Burnt Hill Road lot. It saves you from that paved hill on Purdum. My “typical” loop is from the Burnt Hill Road to the Purdum Trail to Browning Run. I follow Browning Run all the way down to the bottom and cross Clarksburg Road, where you pick up the new Browning Run re-route. Follow that to Hyattstown Mill road and make a right turn. Veer right at Earl’s Picnic Area to climb out on the Pine Knob trail. I go past the intersection with Tobacco Farm and go all the way up to Prescott Road. If I have time, I will do a quick loop of the Dark Branch trail, otherwise, I follow Prescott Road out towards Lewisdale Road and make a right on the Tobacco Barn. This leads you to the upper portion of the big grassy hill, and I bomb that down to make a left turn and follow the grassy hill to the creek. Cross the creek, climb up Tobacco Barn and make a left to pick up the Browning Run Trail again. Cross Clarksburg Road and veer right onto Pine Ridge. At the top of Pine Ridge, you can make a left on Loggers and then a left on Purdum to take you home, or make a right on Loggers and drop down to the Clarksburg Road lot. Make a left and take the gravel road up to the big hill to the Boy Scout camp. Keep climbing and follow Purdum back to the car. It’s about an 11.5 mile loop with 1,400 feet of climbing.

The new Browning Run trail, though, makes the ride a lot of fun!

sierra11861
    Participant

@saxman 226801 wrote:

I like starting at the Burnt Hill Road lot. It saves you from that paved hill on Purdum. My “typical” loop is from the Burnt Hill Road to the Purdum Trail to Browning Run. I follow Browning Run all the way down to the bottom and cross Clarksburg Road, where you pick up the new Browning Run re-route. Follow that to Hyattstown Mill road and make a right turn. Veer right at Earl’s Picnic Area to climb out on the Pine Knob trail. I go past the intersection with Tobacco Farm and go all the way up to Prescott Road. If I have time, I will do a quick loop of the Dark Branch trail, otherwise, I follow Prescott Road out towards Lewisdale Road and make a right on the Tobacco Barn. This leads you to the upper portion of the big grassy hill, and I bomb that down to make a left turn and follow the grassy hill to the creek. Cross the creek, climb up Tobacco Barn and make a left to pick up the Browning Run Trail again. Cross Clarksburg Road and veer right onto Pine Ridge. At the top of Pine Ridge, you can make a left on Loggers and then a left on Purdum to take you home, or make a right on Loggers and drop down to the Clarksburg Road lot. Make a left and take the gravel road up to the big hill to the Boy Scout camp. Keep climbing and follow Purdum back to the car. It’s about an 11.5 mile loop with 1,400 feet of climbing.

The new Browning Run trail, though, makes the ride a lot of fun!

I park at Burnt Hill too. yesterday I was surprised to find that the old Browning run is permanently closed. I am going to really miss that tight switch back climb right after the bridge with the big rocks in the middle of the trail, that was a great technical section:(. However taking the new Browning Run trail from Clarksburg is the best run in the entire network. Whoever laid that out really did a nice job. On the down side I would have liked to see the new windy ridge end at the peak of Tobacco Barn just up the hill from where Browning crosses Tobacco rather than in the middle of the hill with the drainage 6X6’s. Windy ridge could use some drainage swales installed, lots of soft spots.

It looked like somebody was working on a new trail just passed the horse trailer parking area in the open field to the left. Looks like it will lead down to the bottom Western Piedmont. Is this true?

saxman
    Participant

I totally missed Windy Ridge…that is a brand new trail, so it’s likely to be soft.

They are currently re-routing the Dark Branch, which is the trail you saw from the horse trailer lot on Prescott. In fact, I came across a section they closed and flagged a “go around” but hadn’t cut the trail yet. There is also work being done on a new Hard Cider Trail (the old one was closed years ago).

The new trails are the result of Austin Steo and his Trail Conservancy’s hard work. Austin has been involved with Little Bennett for many years and sees the park for what it is: a 3,600 acre canvas for which to “paint” singletrack masterpieces.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.