Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 70 total)
  • Author

sierra11861
    Participant

@bottombraket 242771 wrote:

I think both of the bad spots on Browning and Hard Cider (near Kingsley Trailhead) are both the result of underground springs with water coming out of the ground and over the trail. I think the only way to fix these is either 1) reroute the trail, or 2) build Noreaster type boardwalks over them.

PS: This week, I turned arround on Hard Cider because there was not a way to pass the mud without going through posion ivy.

I agree with you on Hard Cider but the I have seen the Browning dry in the spots you mention under normal rainfall conditions. I have been trying to get the rainfall data for this past June but have not been able to find it. I think it was a 130 year record.

sierra11861
    Participant

Repairs have been made to lower hard cider. Very nice job BTW. A section of about 4′ of the log at the stream crossing of tobacco barn has been cut away. Stay to the far right when you enter the stream

sierra11861
    Participant

So I found the new tobacco barn…..If I had not been with someone that knew it I would have never found it. Believe it or not it never crosses the stream. It dumps you out just north of the Browning Run lot on the west side of Clarksburg road just to the north of the road bridge. Wow, this trail has a ton of potential. Anyone know when Austin will finish it? :confused2:

DNeums

I’ve been on the section of Tobacco Barn that bypasses the top part of the open field (when going south from Timber Ridge), but that lets out just before that big sweeping right hander that ends at the stream crossing where the big tree is. It sounds like I’m missing a section, though? Would it be possible to describe where you’re getting on so I can look out for it? Great news on Hard Cider repairs…I’ve been avoiding that for months. The last time I rode it, the ground was frozen.

BottomBraket
    Participant

Looks like I got some ‘sploring to do.

@sierra11861 242882 wrote:

So I found the new tobacco barn…..If I had not been with someone that knew it I would have never found it. Believe it or not it never crosses the stream. It dumps you out just north of the Browning Run lot on the west side of Clarksburg road just to the north of the road bridge. Wow, this trail has a ton of potential. Anyone know when Austin will finish it? :confused2:

@sierra11861 242838 wrote:

Repairs have been made to lower hard cider. Very nice job BTW. A section of about 4′ of the log at the stream crossing of tobacco barn has been cut away. Stay to the far right when you enter the stream

sierra11861
    Participant

@bottombraket 242910 wrote:

Looks like I got some ‘sploring to do.

Okay. I will try to explain it best I can. When you get dumped back on to the sweeping left turn (the one we all love with the outside bank) you go about another 20-30 yards and veer off the trail at a slight angle to the left through tall grass at say about a 20 degree angle to the trail. Head straight towards the woods line continuing down grade. If you even start to enter the next (right) turn you missed it by a mile. If memory serves me there is a tree to the left of the trail that you pass on your right as you veer off. I am riding it tomorrow, I will stop and try to flatten some grass for you so you can see the entrance better.

When you make the woods line the trail should become obvious although it is really narrow. Once in the woods after a short distance it curves right about 90 degrees and heads down to a small stream crossing (kind of tricky but I made it the first time), from there it widens nicely and is pretty obvious although I found myself slowing some a couple times to make sure I was on the right track as there are a few places where definition fades. When it opens up out of the woods into a field you are only about 150 yards from Clarksburg road in tall grass….just plow through down grade, you will make it. :thumbsup:

DNeums

Thanks sierra! I’m shooting for a Saturday evening ride or early Sunday morning ride when hopefully this heat breaks – I’ll see if I can find it.

sierra11861
    Participant

I can’t remember a time when the condition of the trails was this bad. I believe it is due to the extraordinary amount of rainfall we have had this summer not to mention our 1,000 lb four legged friends. Many areas are in need of maintenance. It would have to be dry for a month to start making a difference which I don’t see happening this summer since it seems we are in a rain cycle from here on out. Browning run is a shadow of its former self..:nope:

sierra11861
    Participant

Road today. Finally some roll. Some roll is nice for a change. :thumbsup:

sierra11861
    Participant

Road Saturday 8-17-13. Trails were the most rideable they have been all summer. Bottom of Browning is still rough but overall the 4 or so days of dry weather has really helped. As luck would have it, there was no measurable rainfall Sunday 8-18.

saxman
    Participant

Rode Little Bennett this morning: Dry and fast conditions prevail throughout that park. If you want to see what the “new” Little Bennett is all about, go to the park now, go directly to the park, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

sierra11861
    Participant

When do night rides start?

mbonsby
    Participant

Any chance the night rides could start earlier ? Maybe a 1/2 hr or so before dark, the animals at LB are all out to see just before dark it’s my favorite time to ride there

saxman
    Participant

The Special Use permit expired on August 30th. I haven’t submitted a request to renew the permit as of yet. Right now, I do not have the time to lead the night rides. If anyone wants to “pick up the torch”, I can put you in touch with Park Management.

Little Bennett’s land managers have been very supportive of night riding since we started there in 2006, so I’m sure it’s simply a matter of asking and they will hook you up with the proper paperwork.

Lebby
    Participant

@saxman 244703 wrote:

Rode Little Bennett this morning: Dry and fast conditions prevail throughout that park. If you want to see what the “new” Little Bennett is all about, go to the park now, go directly to the park, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Anyone been to LB in the past 2 weeks? Are conditions still good? Muddy Branch was awesome today.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.