Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 70 total)
  • Author

saxman
    Participant

That’s a new one. I’ll have to go check that out and ask Park Management about it. I’m taking it that it is running parallel with the stream (and thus perpendicular to the stream crossing)? I know there were some issues with the sandbar in the stream changing the flow.

Given the very heavy rains that Little Bennett experienced on June 10th (and in a previous storm, IIRC), is it possible that it was swept from somewhere upstream?

sierra11861
    Participant

@saxman 242117 wrote:

That’s a new one. I’ll have to go check that out and ask Park Management about it. I’m taking it that it is running parallel with the stream (and thus perpendicular to the stream crossing)? I know there were some issues with the sandbar in the stream changing the flow.

Given the very heavy rains that Little Bennett experienced on June 10th (and in a previous storm, IIRC), is it possible that it was swept from somewhere upstream?

If that tree placement was random then winning the lottery just got a lot easier..

saxman
    Participant

I talked to the park manager this morning and mentioned the tree. She told me she was unaware of this and would go check it out. If it was put there intentionally, it wasn’t done by park staff.

sierra11861
    Participant

@saxman 242191 wrote:

I talked to the park manager this morning and mentioned the tree. She told me she was unaware of this and would go check it out. If it was put there intentionally, it wasn’t done by park staff.

I guess it was washed up then. That had to be one heck of a flash flood. That is one huge tree.

saxman
    Participant

@sierra11861 242270 wrote:

I guess it was washed up then. That had to be one heck of a flash flood. That is one huge tree.

The Little Bennett area definitely got pounded hard, the USGS website had some eye popping numbers for the Soper Branch in terms of volume and gauge height.

sierra11861
    Participant

Rode today, just an FYI that the tree still there..

sierra11861
    Participant

This June 2013 had to be an all time record for rainfall totals.

saxman
    Participant

I don’t know if it is a record, but it’s definitely up there. In the last three weeks, I’ve only been able to ride MTB one time. I don’t mind racking up the miles on the road bike, but I’d sure like to get back on the trails again.

sierra11861
    Participant

I rode Thursday. Huge tree is still at stream crossing Tabacco Barn. Also, about an 8″ tree is about 100 yards up Pine Grove from Earls. Mud is fun every now and then but when it is every ride all summer it sucks

Looks like what I call heart break hill is soon to be closed. that is the steep climb coming out of browning run parking lot. they are making a grade sensitive by-pass. Horses will love it, we will love the horse sh– You have to admit that was the one hill you could count on not having to dodge horse sh–

I suppose Loggers is next? 🙁

saxman
    Participant

I’m 99% sure of the hill you are talking about — it’s the one that goes up Pine Ridge on the south side of Clarksburg Road? That’s definitely a tough one. I’d hate to see that one go. You can check with Austin Steo on what the future plans are. I think he’s the one who laid out the routes for a lot of the new construction.

Fortunately, the Little Bennett area was spared much of the heavy rains that passed through today. It sure seems like we’re in a very Florida-like weather pattern right now. The trail surfaces are looking more like late March than late June.

davegorrie

Hey Guys,

I just hit Little Bennett for the first time today…kind of a wacky trail at times! For some reason I thought I’d take Lewisdale north to get back to my car at Burnt Hill parking…bit it pretty hard in a huge mud bog!

I started hitting side trails because I kept running into a large trail running group…but seemed like trails like Browning run were pretty well kept – I only ventured on those few trails (and Purdum to get to my car)…but are there definite trails to stay away from on a bike? I should have done a little more research I suppose, and I usually head to Schaeffer, but LB is a few miles from my house so I thought I’d give it a spin!

Really love this forum…glad I stumbled upon it!

sierra11861
    Participant

@saxman 242566 wrote:

I’m 99% sure of the hill you are talking about — it’s the one that goes up Pine Ridge on the south side of Clarksburg Road? That’s definitely a tough one. I’d hate to see that one go. You can check with Austin Steo on what the future plans are. I think he’s the one who laid out the routes for a lot of the new construction.

Fortunately, the Little Bennett area was spared much of the heavy rains that passed through today. It sure seems like we’re in a very Florida-like weather pattern right now. The trail surfaces are looking more like late March than late June.

Austin is doing a great job I just hate to see the tough spots removed. Yes, the steep climb I am talking about is where Pine Knob meets Browning Run. I enjoy going from BR up Pine Knob. I also enjoy going up Loggers from Kingsley Pkg Lot. There is nothing like these climbs at Schaffer Farms. I will miss them when they are gone.

sierra11861
    Participant

Road today. Lower Browning Run was completely 110% trashed by horses. Never seen it anywhere near that bad. There would have to be no rain for 2 weeks for it to recover along with most of the rest of the trail network. Rain is predicted for this holiday week so we are looking at the end of July before before any quality trail conditions are possible. This summer sucks..:(

saxman
    Participant

I was out at Little Bennett on Sunday and the trails I hit are beginning to recover from the deluge they received in June. There were only a couple of really bad spots, with the one trouble spot on Browning Run just shy of the intersection with Windy Ridge being the worst. I didn’t hit Hard Cider, which has been hard hit in the past.

I did see the tree down at the Tobacco Barn crossing. It’s pretty clear what happened: The tree was on the southwest corner of the crossing. The flooding that occurred undercut the root system and the tree toppled over onto the sandbar. I put in another maintenance request on the tree, so hopefully they will clear it this week.

BottomBraket
    Participant

@saxman 242763 wrote:

I was out at Little Bennett on Sunday and the trails I hit are beginning to recover from the deluge they received in June. There were only a couple of really bad spots, with the one trouble spot on Browning Run just shy of the intersection with Windy Ridge being the worst. I didn’t hit Hard Cider, which has been hard hit in the past.

I did see the tree down at the Tobacco Barn crossing. It’s pretty clear what happened: The tree was on the southwest corner of the crossing. The flooding that occurred undercut the root system and the tree toppled over onto the sandbar. I put in another maintenance request on the tree, so hopefully they will clear it this week.

I think both of the bad spots on Browning and Hard Cider (near Kingsley Trailhead) are both the result of underground springs with water coming out of the ground and over the trail. I think the only way to fix these is either 1) reroute the trail, or 2) build Noreaster type boardwalks over them.

PS: This week, I turned arround on Hard Cider because there was not a way to pass the mud without going through posion ivy.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.