Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 70 total)
  • Author

saxman
    Participant

@bottombraket 239371 wrote:

See my post in:

2013 Trail Conditions- ANYWHERE
    http://www.more-mtb.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25038

Thanks! I’ll get that reported to the Park Managers.

I recently just moved into Clarksburg Village onto Grand Elm st. It’s pretty much the corner of Stringtown and Snowden. I have only ridden LB a couple times and brief stints at that. Mainly just the route on the MOCO Epic. My “ride from the house” trail used to be BH. I am looking for some direction as to how I can best enter the trails from the new house. Preferably riding in, but if it’s better to drive into the park somewhere a bit further, thats fine too. Also looking for an interested party to possibly show me around the park.

BottomBraket
    Participant

@dubinjs 239479 wrote:

I recently just moved into Clarksburg Village onto Grand Elm st. It’s pretty much the corner of Stringtown and Snowden. I have only ridden LB a couple times and brief stints at that. Mainly just the route on the MOCO Epic. My “ride from the house” trail used to be BH. I am looking for some direction as to how I can best enter the trails from the new house. Preferably riding in, but if it’s better to drive into the park somewhere a bit further, thats fine too. Also looking for an interested party to possibly show me around the park.

I’m in for a ride almost anytime. I’m 8 minutes from Froggy Hollow Trailhead, where I like to start from.

I have a 13.5 mile route that hits most of the trials with little duplication.

See:
    MD Little Bennett MTB Cue Sheet 120828
    http://www.more-mtb.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24478

saxman
    Participant

@dubinjs 239479 wrote:

You can ride down Burnt Hill Road and make a left into the park at the end of the Froggy Hollow / Schoolhouse Trail. It is opposite Kingstead Road

Or, if you are feeling more adventurous, you can stay on Burnt Hill Road until you get to the parking lot on your left and enter the park that way. We run a night ride from there on Tuesday evenings, trail conditions permitting.

I’m less than 10 minutes driving time from Little Bennett. I’m always up for showing people around the park.

saxman
    Participant

I was out at Little Bennett today. Browning Run is improving, but still has a couple of soft spots. Windy Ridge Trail is a mud bog almost end-to-end. Hard Cider is also in really bad shape. I didn’t make it to the northern part of the park. This is consistent with what we saw happen to Browning Run last year, the new trails seem to take a couple of seasons to get worn in and more resistent to the muck.

I’m probably going to give the trails another week before we restart the night rides.

DNeums

I rode Little Bennett tonight starting from the the Burnt Hill parking lot. Purdum was in good shape – only one soft spot prior to the intersection with Browning Run. Browning Run was also in good shape – only had one short soft spot all the way from Purdum to Western Piedmont. I avoided Windy Ridge and am glad I did because I think it drains comparably to Hard Cider. I walked most of the first half of Hard Cider (from Clarksburg Rd) – it was really soggy. It was dark enough that I didn’t make it up to the Northwest sections of the trail. It sounds like there’s been little improvement since Saxman’s last update.

Dave

saxman
    Participant

I’m going to try to get over there this week and check out Dark Branch Loop and Pine Grove. If those are good, we can still have the night ride while avoiding the Windy Ridge and Hard Cider trails until they improve.

Worst case scenario for the night rides is we can do a Dark Branch Crit?

saxman
    Participant

Back out today on the northern half of the park:

Overall, the trail surfaces are on the spongy side, but not terrible. Dark Branch Loop is in good shape. Tree is cleared from Pine Grove and the surface is pretty good with one or two soft spots. Timber Ridge has three significant bike-eating mud pits. Tobacco Barn was pretty good…lots of water leading up to the the creek crossing. Browning Run north of Tobacco Barn still has that one soft spot.

Even with Hard Cider and Windy Ridge still in rough condition, we now have enough trails in decent shape to start the night rides again. I’ll post to the calendar this evening.

sierra11861
    Participant

What is the latest with the connector trail from Dark Branch to Western Piedmont? Will it be installed this year?

saxman
    Participant

@sierra11861 240275 wrote:

What is the latest with the connector trail from Dark Branch to Western Piedmont? Will it be installed this year?

I’m not sure. I think Austin Steo has a better grasp on where the continuing construction will be. From what I recall, we’re probably going to see a Tobacco Barn reroute this year, though.

sierra11861
    Participant

@saxman 240291 wrote:

I’m not sure. I think Austin Steo has a better grasp on where the continuing construction will be. From what I recall, we’re probably going to see a Tobacco Barn reroute this year, though.

Yeah, I think I saw a few survey flags for that. One thing I know is when TB bottoms out there is a serious lack of sight-easement (when leaves are on) right where you hit the gravel. I am surprised there has not been an accident there with someone coming in the direction from the creek.

DNeums

I’ve noticed a few new re-routes over the last few weeks when running up there. There’s a re-route of TB north of the stream crossing that takes you out of that open field and back into the woods. It brings you up to the top of the field (if that makes sense). It looks like some horses have been on it already, but I didn’t see any tire tracks. There’s also a new section on BR coming east to west prior to Clarksburg Rd. There are newly planted trees on the last stretch out of the woods that took you to the parking lot. Some of these may not be new…I’ve only been out there 3 times in the last 3 months or so.

Austin – I don’t know you….but great work at LB. If there were trail work days scheduled, I missed them, but I’m happy to help if needed.

Dave

sierra11861
    Participant

Anyone on here notice that GIGANTIC horse stable being built next to the Lewisdale Horse Trailer Parking area?

saxman
    Participant

Things are improving at Little Bennett. Windy Ridge is now pretty good, save one really nasty spot. Browning Run has returned to its fast, flowy characteristics and the new reroute south of Clarksburg Road to the wood line is fun.

Hard Cider is still in very rough shape with some pretty intense mudholes. I’m thinking they may need to rename the trails Soft Cider. More likely, a couple of the sections may need to be realigned to avoid the perpetually wet spots.

I saw the big stable — that’s on private property, but I guess it wouldn’t stop people from bringing their horses onto park property.

sierra11861
    Participant

Okay, who put the gigantic tree at the bottom of Tobacco barn right in the middle of the stream? It didn’t fall there. It was PUT there

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 70 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.