Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author

sierra11861
    Participant

@bottombraket 233420 wrote:

Because it does not matter what the horse rider thinks. The horse can kill you in an instant if the horse wants to. The horse rider has no say in the matter.

Always yield to horses. Pull over, get off the trail, and stop.

I respectfully disagree. There are clearly horses with inherent behaviors that are incompatible with public use trails and the owners of these horses know it. Therefore IMO they (the riders) DO have a say by making a rational decision to not ride a horse of this type on a public use trail.

I don’t understand the sentiment on this forum that somehow horse riders are not culpable for their decisions and actions. I am more than happy to share the trail however to be asked to sit here while horse riders are acting irresponsibly by riding a anti-social horse is BS.

saxman
    Participant

The problem is that when you’re dealing with an animal, even the best trained horse will have its moments.

Being a volunteer with Park Police, I have the opportunity to work around some of the best trained and socialized horses ridden by some of the most experienced and well trained riders out there (In fact, one of the Sergeants, literally “wrote the book” on current Police equestrian techniques and training). Even these superior horses with superior riders have acted in a way that have caused injuries to the officers.

When you see a horse, it’s best to assume to horse is going to be skittish and just stop. I will also ask the rider “Is it okay for me to approach (pass)?” before I make my next move. I find a little courtesy tends to go a very long with with equestrians. Should the horse owner have some culpability? Maybe…but it’s an endless cycle. How do you acclimate a horse with antisocial tendencies unless you try to put it in situations where it is exposed to outside stimulus? Horses do learn, and some horses that may have been more skittish in the spring will be more calm come the fall because they have been exposed to more bikes and cyclists and know they are now a threat.

I spend a good deal of time at Little Bennett, so I’ve had a lot of horse / bike interaction. I haven’t seen the correlation of asshole factor to a horse’s social skills. In fact, one of the nicest riders I’ve come across had one of the most skittish horses I’ve seen. It was so skittish, it actually scared me, like “wow, I’m making the horse react that way” I find the worst are the people who are think Little Bennett is their own private backyard trail and they’re going to be jerks to anyone who impinges on that concept, regardless of whatever courtesy you extend.

sierra11861
    Participant

I find the worst are the people who are think Little Bennett is their own private backyard trail and they’re going to be jerks to anyone who impinges on that concept, regardless of whatever courtesy you extend.

Nominated for quote of the day

jtcallahan
    Participant

Went for a ride there today with a friend and WHOA there are some gnarly hills out there. I have only ridden there once before at last year’s Epic and my only memory of that was that ridiculously steep paved road.

We did about 10.3 miles and took in most of of the trails open to bikes. Nice technical climbs, fun descents. I’m looking forward to see which trails make the cut for this year’s Epic.

Squirrel_Girl
    Participant

@sierra11861 233422 wrote:

I don’t understand the sentiment on this forum that somehow horse riders are not culpable for their decisions and actions. I am more than happy to share the trail however to be asked to sit here while horse riders are acting irresponsibly by riding a anti-social horse is BS.

I would substitute the word “dog” for “horse.” I rarely encounter equestrians, but when I do, I’m always courteous to them, and them to me. But dog owners think it’s perfectly OK for their dogs to be off leash and that everyone must love their dogs as much as they do. I’ve been bitten (blood drawn) and crashed due to an unpredictable dog that stepped in front of me at the last second and I fractured my pelvis. I don’t like dogs. I don’t care if the dog is leashed or not, so long as it’s under voice control. Far too many dogs aren’t.

saxman
    Participant

I hit Little Bennett today on a beautiful morning. New Dark Branch loop is complete, and now they are working on a Pine Grove reroute, which now gives you the option of skipping the rock garden to get to Timber Ridge, if you are so inclined. With all these new, fun, flowy and sustainable trails…and more new trails coming, Little Bennett is really coming into its own. It’s like watching the ugly duckling turn into a beautiful swan.

I did come across two horses today. Usually when I see horse trailers in the Prescott Road lot, it’s usually a pretty sure sign you’re going to bump into them at some point on the trails. I was riding Dark Branch, spotted them first and called out. The riders asked me to hold up while they found a spot to get off the trail. Then I approached slowly, while talking to the riders so the horses knew this strange contraption had something to do with a person. I even offered to dismount, but they said as long as I continued to talk, we’d be okay. Both riders thanked me profusely for giving them the “heads up” and my willingness to follow their instructions….again, a little courtesy tends to go a long way!

Patches
    Participant

I want to see what LB is all about. My house backs up to Black Hill park and would like to ride over. Can someone help with directions? Thanks in advance.

Squirrel_Girl
    Participant

@patches 233657 wrote:

I want to see what LB is all about. My house backs up to Black Hill park and would like to ride over. Can someone help with directions? Thanks in advance.

Sure. Head north on either I-270 or 355. When you get to Clarksburg Rd, turn east. If you come off I-270 make sure you stay left and don’t go on Stringtown Road (or you’ll have to turn left (north) on 355, then right on Clarksburg Rd.

Just follow that for a couple a miles, more or less. You go down a really big hill and at the bottom is a creek. Turn right at the bottom and there’s a parking lot right there. You’re good to go. There’s a kiosk with a map, and of course, there are other maps online.

There are other parking areas, too, but this is super simple.

@patches 233657 wrote:

If you meant that you want to ride your bike over there you could try this:

-Take Field Crest Spur to where it pops out on W Old Baltimore near the park entrance – turn right
    -Take first left after going under 270 (by satellite dishes)
    -Turn left on Gateway Center Dr
    -Turn right on Stringtown Rd
    -After crossing 355 turn left into construction area at bottom of hill (by cement blockades)
    -Take first right into residential area. You should pop out on Burdette Forest Rd below Little Bennett Elementary
    -Cross Snowden Farm Pkwy – Burdette Forest becomes Burnt Hill Rd.
    -Follow Burnt Hill Rd to Kingsley Rd (bottom of long hill)
    -Take left into park on Froggy Hollow Trail

harry_s (ridemore)
    Participant

@patches 233657 wrote:

Patches, if you want to see a map of what MMMark is talking about, look here:

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/890732

Patches
    Participant

Squirrel Girl – Many thanks, but I wanted to know the way by bike. I wasn’t clear in what I was asking.

MMMARK – Appreciate it:thumbsup:

ridemore – Perfect, a visual always helps!

Squirrel_Girl
    Participant

@patches 233689 wrote:

Squirrel Girl – Many thanks, but I wanted to know the way by bike. I wasn’t clear in what I was asking.

Nevermind. 🙁

Patches
    Participant

@squirrel_girl 233698 wrote:

Nevermind. 🙁

Ok, I’ll drive over;)

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.