Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author

saxman
    Participant

I went out to Little Ben this morning. Sure enough, there is a new alignment for the Dark Branch Loop. How new? So new that I bumped into a Commission employee with a hand-bulldozer (caterpillar tracks and plow, but the operator walks behind it) continuing to clear the trail. The trail is not quite ready to be opened for business yet…maybe another week and it will be ready ride. It is definitely green, though.

The other new trails seem to be holding their own. There are a couple of small muddy sections, but no worse than you’d see at Schaeffer or Black Hill. Things are looking up for Little Ben :thumbsup:

Todd Bauer

Sounds like you ran into Steve Moxley and his Ditch Witch SK 500. Pretty sure he is the only equipment operator doing trail stuff for the Parks Commission. He’s a a great guy. Was (is) a tremendous help with the Germantown Pump track, among other projects. Give him a big “thanks” if you run into him again.

BottomBraket
    Participant

I logged 15 miles at Lil’ Ben today, I planned a route that gets most trails with minimal retraces. The trails were in good shape, but with few non-draining puddles still.

way way cool
    Browning Run – new
    Windy Ridge – new
    Dark Branch – new
    Hard Cider – in the works

denisvtt
    Participant

I rode some of Lil Ben last night and those new trails are really cool. Flowy, fast, fun! SRT-type quality! Great job Austin!

Still working on this but there’s no way the Epic isn’t gonna go through some of those new trails. The route I came up with so far adds about 1.5 miles to the 50 and the 65 routes, which should be fine as both routes were so far slightly short of their advertised total.

BottomBraket
    Participant

@denisvtt 232453 wrote:

I rode some of Lil Ben last night and those new trails are really cool. Flowy, fast, fun! SRT-type quality! Great job Austin!

Still working on this but there’s no way the Epic isn’t gonna go through some of those new trails. The route I came up with so far adds about 1.5 miles to the 50 and the 65 routes, which should be fine as both routes were so far slightly short of their advertised total.

Ya know Denis, if you did all the trails in Lil’ Ben, Clopper Lake, and Schaeffer, you could turn the MoCoNo 50 miler into an 80+ miler.

BottomBraket
    Participant

@denisvtt 232453 wrote:

Here’s what I’m thinking:

Straight up the “Paved road” parallel to Purdem
    Left on Browning Run all the way to
    Left on Windy Ridge
    Right on Tobacco Barn
    Left on Western Peidmont
    Cross the road (hummm, could be dangerous for 200 bikers). At the trail head
    Left onto Hard Cider
    Left at T onto the real Perdum dirt trail (wash outs and heavy brush)
    Continue on Perdum to the Burnt Hill Parking area

Eye balling the March 2012 map, this should add about 3 miles to last years MoCoNo 50 miler.

Caveat: We’d need to wip Hider Cider into shape and trim the bushes on the lower dirt part of Perdum dirt.

By far, the funest part of the new/reworked trails is Browning Run (from the top at Perdum) going down hill all the way to Windy Ridge.

denisvtt
    Participant

@bottombraket 232456 wrote:

Ya know Denis, if you did all the trails in Lil’ Ben, Clopper Lake, and Schaeffer, you could turn the MoCoNo 50 miler into an 80+ miler.

And the 65-miler into a 100-miler.

Problem is, most riders would finish at night (those who would finish…), and we can’t get a night riding permit for something like this.

But a 100-m Weekend Club Ride, that I could do….

Tom Newton

@denisvtt 232463 wrote:

And the 65-miler into a 100-miler.

Problem is, most riders would finish at night (those who would finish…), and we can’t get a night riding permit for something like this.

But a 100-m Weekend Club Ride, that I could do….

You could also add mileage by heading from Lil Ben to Patuxent State Park (north of Damascus) and then get on Upper Magruder in Damascus and continue from there.

There is some decent singletrack in Patuxent and it has tons of potential for future trails.

sierra11861
    Participant

When I road Upper Dark branch the second time I found another section of the trail off the open field (the field just west of the horse parking lot off of the end of Prescott Rd) that runs parallel to the field approx 30′ from the edge of the field looping all the way around to the right and re-connects to the former trail. Does this mean eventual closing of open field trail? I hope not. I like having some time out from under the canopy.

sierra11861
    Participant

The bridge on Hyattstown Mill Road between Browning Run and Pine Grove is closed for replacement. By a stroke of fate I was there when the construction crew was wrapping up their first day of operations last Thursday. I spoke to the crew chief and he informed me the work had to be completed by Sept 31st due to that being the beginning of some kind of fish mating season or something to that effect.

denisvtt
    Participant

@sierra11861 233063 wrote:

The bridge on Hyattstown Mill Road between Browning Run and Pine Grove is closed for replacement. By a stroke of fate I was there when the construction crew was wrapping up their first day of operations last Thursday. I spoke to the crew chief and he informed me the work had to be completed by Sept 31st due to that being the beginning of some kind of fish mating season or something to that effect.

Maybe the fish find it more romantic to fool around under a spanking new bridge…

BottomBraket
    Participant

@sierra11861 233063 wrote:

Isn’t that the Western Peidmont trial? Today, we got off our bikes and walked accross it, no problem.

sierra11861
    Participant

@bottombraket 233070 wrote:

Isn’t that the Western Peidmont trial? Today, we got off our bikes and walked accross it, no problem.

Yeah, I think you’re right. Western Piedmont.

sierra11861
    Participant

I am always reasonable and courteous when I come upon horses. I slow down and/or strike a wide berth and/or come to a complete stop. One thing I have learned over the past year or so is that the horse riders attitude towards bikers is directly proportional to the degree of which their horse is skittish. In other words the more unpredictable the behavior of the horse the bigger a-hole the rider. Somebody needs to give me a good reason why I should be resented for existing in this world because a particular horse rider has forked 20 grand on a horse that should not be anywhere near a public use trail.

BottomBraket
    Participant

@sierra11861 233419 wrote:

I am always reasonable and courteous when I come upon horses. I slow down and/or strike a wide berth and/or come to a complete stop. One thing I have learned over the past year or so is that the horse riders attitude towards bikers is directly proportional to the degree of which their horse is skittish. In other words the more unpredictable the behavior of the horse the bigger a-hole the rider. Somebody needs to give me a good reason why I should be resented for existing in this world because a particular horse rider has forked 20 grand on a horse that should not be anywhere near a public use trail.

Because it does not matter what the horse rider thinks. The horse can kill you in an instant if the horse wants to. The horse rider has no say in the matter.

Always yield to horses. Pull over, get off the trail, and stop.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.