Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

jmwking
    Participant

I was talking with Casey Anderson before a planning board meeting a couple weeks ago and he suggested the southern, bike-friendly part Cabin John trail had been rebuilt. I was wondering where to put in, and if there were any really tricky road crossings. (I’ll admit to being confused trying to find the Seneca trail from Schaeffer once upon a time.)

I’d love to try it out…

thanks,

-jk

Brad E
    Participant

Not sure what section either of you are referring to as the re-built southern section as I don’t ride there much. But I can give you an access point.

On River Rd heading west (north?) outside the beltway after you pass Cabin John Fire Department there is a luxury condo complex on the right. On the right hand side of the road past the condos is a small trail head parking lot. Room for 4-5 cars on pavement. If you get to the bridge over Cabin John Creek and Carderock Springs Dr you’ve gone too far. There has always been access there but as part of the condo development and River Rd widening they installed the paved lot and sidewalks on the north side of the road.

South of River Rd there is trail, but I’m not sure the legality of it. If it is freshly cut in maybe that’s what Casey is talking about. Otherwise he is talking about the section north of the little parking lot. Last I was there, Jan 2016, the old legacy trails next to the creek needed lots of work and it appeared something new was being cut farther up the hill-sides to the east between River and Seven Locks. At the time couldn’t tell if they were rogue neighborhood trails or sanctioned. Maybe he’s referring to these.

Crossing Bradley is straight forward. Farther north crossing Seven Locks at Democracy is a bit tricky as you have to ride the road for a short bit and cross at the signal light until the trail picks up again.
    http://www.montgomeryparks.org/uploads/2016/08/cabin_john_svu_trail-1.pdf
    These maps only note Oct 2009 and Jan2015 updates so maybe there is something new.

jmwking
    Participant

Thanks! We’ll try it out when we get back in town…

-jk

BottomBraket
    Participant

The full length of Cabin John is nearly impossibly to figure out all the road crossing and transitions solo if you’ve never ridden it. I suggest that you first ride with someone knows and is willing to teach you the transitions.

+1 on Brad’s comment, but I’ll add some more detail. I was there a few weeks ago; the section just north of River Road had some new trail being built further up the hill away from Cabin John Creek, but it was not finished when I rode it.

Going south to north from Bradley Blvd, when you get to Seven Locks RD turn left to head north on Seven Lock; cross Democracy Blvd at the light; turn right to head east onto the sidewalk on the north side of Democracy; go about 200-400 feet; look to the left to see a left U-turn onto Cabin John Trail heading down the hill.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.