The Bike Lane Juniors is MORE’s sMores program in Northern Virginia and it is operated and managed by The Bike Lane and The Bike Lane Race Team, and MORE volunteers.
Beginning April 19th, join us on Monday nights at Wakefield Park, in Annandale and Lake Fairfax in Reston for our sMORE Junior Rides. All rides begin at 5:45 pm and last about 1 -1.5 hours depending on the group’s ability and time of year. To check the status of a ride, look for updates on the sMORE Facebook Page.
Riders will be separated into different riding groups based on ability and the number of volunteers we have. We usually have one beginner ride and one more advanced ride. If there are not enough kids or volunteers to separate into groups we will ride together.
Monday Night TBL/sMORE Rides (Open to all riders ages 6-18):
- Day and Time: Mondays at 5:45 p.m.
- Wakefield Park: 8100 Braddock Road Annandale The terrain at Wakefield is suitable for beginner riders and also has trails for the more advanced riders. The trails are all single track but there is a nice flat single track through the woods that is suitable for teaching the younger and beginner riders.
- Wakefield rides will start in the FIRST parking lot on the left as you pull into the park.
- Lake Fairfax Park: 1400 Lake Fairfax Drive Reston. The terrain at Lake Fairfax is a little more challenging. We reccomend that riders have some experience riding single track trails including the the ability to shift gears and have basic descending and ascending skills. They should also be comfortable going over small rocks and roots.
- Lake Fairfax rides will start in the lower parking lot closest by the dam and lake and near the main park office.
- Ages and Ability: Open to any child 6 and over. Parents much accompany any child under the age of 8 unless the ride leaders have said it is okay for the parent not to accompany their child. Every rider should be able to ride at least 3 miles and be comfortable riding unpaved trails.
- A MUST: All riders must have a properly working MOUNTAIN bike and helmet. Ride Leaders have every right to deny a child to ride with the group if their bike or helmet is deemed unsafe. All riders MUST have water that they can carry with them. No rider will be allowed to ride without water. Riders will not be allowed to ride in the parking lot while waiting for the ride to begin. ALL youth and parents must wait in the grassy areas of the park. NO ONE may ride through the parking lots while waiting for the rides to begin.
- RSVP: All riders must RSVP to attend each week. You can RSVP here. Please RSVP for every ride 24 hours before the ride so we can plan to have enough volunteers to help lead the rides and so we can notify you in case we need to cancel a ride due to weather.
- Parents: Parents are always welcome to ride with us but you are not required to. Please make sure you also have a working mountain bike and helmet.
- Medical Release Waiver: If your child has not ridden with us before please fill out our Medical Release and bring it on the first ride.
- Ride Cancellations: We will cancel rides due to wet trail conditions or excessive heat. Please make sure to check the sMORE Facebook page for any updates.
- Yahoo Group List: If you would like to be added to the The Bike Lane sMORE Yahoo Group please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We send updates and additional event and ride info out to the group.
Cost: There is not a membership fee to participate. However, we do ask that every rider be a MORE member (family memberships offer the best value).
If you have a junior rider who wants to race for The Bike Lane, Junior Race Team Members will be expected to buy a Bike Lane jersey and a Bike Lane t-shirt at cost (short sleeve jersey $70, t-shirt $15). Race fees vary by race and each team member will be responsible for their own race fees and for registering for races. Typically races are about $10-35 each race depending on the race, pre-registration discounts, and possible license fees.