May 2017 Board Meeting Minutes + April Activities Reports

Mid-Atlantic-Off Road Enthusiasts (MORE) Board Meeting

REI North Bethesda

April 8, 2017

7:00PM-9:00PM

Board Members Present

  1. Ernie Rodriguez, President
  2. Rob Lowe, Vice-President
  3. Greg Dwyer, Operations Director
  4. Jeff Niner, VA Advocacy Director
  5. Tom Howe, Membership Director
  6. Carlos Alfaro, Activities Director (via telephone)

MORE Staff, MORE Members, and Guests

  1. Steve Dontigny, MORE Executive Director
  2. Jonah Meyers, MORE Vice-Treasurer
  3. Jonathan Kidwell, Trail Boss
  4. Nate Fischer, prospective member
  5. Jon Posner, Maryland Interscholastic Mountain Biking (MTB)/National Interscholastic Cycling Association (NICA) & M.O.R.E. member
  6. Fred Powell, Maryland Interscholastic MTB/NICA
  7. Eric Crawford (via telephone)

Item #1: Informational Presentation by Maryland Interscholastic Mountain Biking (MTB) (Jon Posner and Fred Powell)

Maryland Interscholastic MTB is affiliated with the National Interscholastic Cycling Association (NICA) and has just initiated an effort to become a 501(c)(3) organization in Maryland. Goal is to set up youth/high school clubs, mountain bike races, and develop youth mountain biking in Maryland. There are established NICA “Project Leagues” in Pennsylvania and Virginia. Spring and fall racing seasons are being established. NICA is focused on mountain biking only. What is the MD affiliate organization looking at accomplishing? 1) developing core staff (leadership team); 2) submitting a winning bid with NICA; and 3) building a local/regional network. MTB teams can be regional or composite; don’t need to necessarily affiliate w/a school. How could Maryland MTB/NICA collaborate w/MORE going forward? MORE BoD invited Jon and Fred to come back with an “ask” of MORE. The ask may include request for social media and website advertisements for MD NICA, financial contribution, volunteer recruitment.

For more information see: https://www.facebook.com/HighSchoolMTBMaryland/

or http://www.nationalmtb.org

Item #2: Patapsco TrailFest (Eric Crawford via telephone)

Eric presented two proposals regarding discounting MORE memberships at Patapsco Trails Festival. (one proposal that discounted memberships asking MORE pay for the discount, the other concerned discounted MORE memberships with an outside organization or donor(s) funding the discount. The Board agreed to make a decision regarding Eric’s request NLT May 15th. The Board continued discussion and decided not to discount membership as it would set a precedent for discounting memberships at events and further assumes members paying full price are actually subsidizing discounted memberships for a select group. Also considered is IMBA requires full membership payment regardless.

Item #3: Membership Updates (Ernie)

Current membership level is at 1,416.

Item #4: VA Trails Update (Jeff Niner)

Annual Women’s Day at Accotinck was yesterday (May 7th). Approximately 95 women participated—a great turnout taking into account the cold, wet weather. A beginners and advanced skills clinic was held as well as a basic repair clinic. Spokes purchased food. Tom Howe promoted M.O.R.E. w/a short presentation. A technical/computer issue (MORE’s credit card reader) was the reason we had difficulty signing up new members (we’ll get that fixed before a future event happens). Perhaps hold a spring and fall Women’s Day event?

Trails/Workdays Update: Successful trail workdays at Fountainhead, Wakefield, and James Long Park (Martin F. led this work day)

495 Jumps and job-site toolboxes were discussed.

A further discussion regarding next steps for Mount Vernon Park is warranted among Ernie, Steve, Carlos, other interested individuals.

MD Trails Update (not inclusive as Dave Magill was absent)

Bacon Ridge: Greg Dwyer attended the recent “Introduction to Bacon Ridge Day” held on April 30th. In summary—it was awesome. The Bacon Ridge folks have done an outstanding job building trails, interfacing with the community, and keeping MORE members and the MORE Board informed and a part of the process.

Frederick Watershed: has held several workdays rerouting and doing trail maintenance.

Fairland: Austin Steo and his volunteers have held several trail workdays over the past six weeks. A new bridge was built and installed by M-NCPPC (Maryland National Capital parks and planning Commission) in February and volunteers have been busy re-routing and improving existing trail to incorporate the new bridge.

Patapsco: continues with the trail work series with amazing volunteer partners and bike shop sponsors for breakfast and lunch.

Item #5: MoCo Epic 2017 Update (Steve D)

Steve recently met w/the Epic planning team. Bids for rental services are going out soon, confirmed aid station sponsors, met w/Whole Foods (WF) reps to discuss WF as Vendor/Title sponsor, permitting is in process as is working on marketing pieces/image production for the event. Date is October 7/8 (Saturday/Sunday). Set-up will begin Friday (Oct 6th), teardown Monday (Oct. 9th). Registration is now live for riders, volunteer positions, etc. Marketing piece is important to get the word out. Meeting w/a potential volunteer coordinator. Also working with a potential trails coordinator to coordinate marking the various courses.

Item #6: Summer Festival Update (Carlos A. via phone)

Festival is coming up soon! A plan and specific milestones have been created to post on social media to build momentum for the event. Q: Could we use BikeReg to support the event so we have a better head-count and a possibility to obtain donations from members? Ernie: The summer festival has always been a free member benefit, a payback to members, so I recommend we not use BikeReg to raise funds or charge for the event. We need to keep it free and can easily build interest through our FB, MORE web page and Trailhead News. When using social media, make sure we’re noting that the Summer Festival is for MORE members and their guests and that it is not a public event. Our liability insurance covers member and guest, however public events would require additional insurance riders. Ernie: let’s make sure we engage w/Stephen Miller to cover safety issues.

Item #7: Summer Gala Update (Ernie/Carlos)

The organizing committee is meeting currently and will provide an update to the Board in the next week. We need to get started building excitement, opening ticket sales and encouraging sharing of picture and video files at: http://www.more-mtb.org/25-more-years

Item #8: Communication Plan with Read Ahead (Ernie)

Ernie: Shared the communication plan written by Martin Fernandez in 2014 ahead of the meeting for all to review. It is very detailed with suggested assignments for Board to share information with membership via Blog, social media and Trailhead news. Ernie Q: Could we create a time-line w/names regarding who posts what and when? A: (Greg): Yes. We will follow-up; there will be more to come on this item.

Item #9: Chapter Charter Changes from IMBA (Ernie)

Dave Magill and Kevin Adams have reviewed the new chapter charter. Propose Aaron Richter review as well. Need to understand how IMBA scores on their chapter “report card.” This is important as the new chapter charter requires MORE to complete a health of the organization survey, so it’s only fair to see the results for IMBA. Ernie will work with one of two board volunteers to develop and communicate a membership outreach and feedback plan to decide MORE’s position with or without IMBA.

Item #10: New IMBA Website and Update (Ernie)

What has IMBA ben up to lately? 1. Developing a new membership program that will replace CiviCRM; it’s easier to use, communications built into it. IMBA has listened to Chapters and reduced the proposed membership dues increase to $39 effective June 1, 2017. IMBA is working with chapters on the Spring Membership Drive sharing all membership revenue and will continue to do so. Effective June 1, membership revenue will be shared 50/50 between IMBA and MORE. Ernie, Steve, Ryan and Dave Kalt met with David Wiens to share MORE’s input and gain additional insight into IMBA’s chapter program. Luther Prost from IMBA’s Board of Directors was also present at the meeting and interacted with Ernie, Steve, Ryan and Dave.

On a related “member outreach” note, we have two, brand-new “easy ups” to promote MORE at future events (races, community events, REI-hosted events, etc.).

Item #11: General Updates

Tool surveys: (Jon Kidwell)

Ernie: Constant Contact subscription paid for one additional year

FB and Instagram Feeds have been renewed—thank you Martin F.!

*The next MORE Board meeting with be June 12th at REI in DC.

 

May 2107 Activity Reports

Ernest (Ernie) Rodriguez

  1. Worked with Steve DonTigny on final edits for Hang-Tags, ordered and delivered to Bikenetic, Spokes, QMTB, Martin Fernandez, Larry Cautilli, Phil VW, Mike Klasmeier, Eric Crawford, Todd Bauer, Jonah Meyers, Mark Zaragosa, Alex Bernard for Germantown Cycles, Carlos Alfaro for all Spokes stores, Performance at Tysons & Baileys, Bakers Dozen (Bikenetic), Big Wheel Bikes, Bike Lane
  2. Attended informational happy hour with Outdoor Alliance, David Wiens and Luther Prost
  3. Working with Martin on MORE’s “Where to Ride” design for our webpage
  4. Outdoor Alliance planning meetings with Jonah and Steve
  5. MoCo Epic planning meeting
  6. 25th Anniversary Gala planning meetings
  7. Trail work at Wakefield
  8. Applied for grants with Microsoft, REI and
  9. Secured 4 admission tickets for Henry Ford Museum for Gala
  10. Follow-up with United Way DoMORE24 and registration
  11. Send out communication plan to current Board Members
  12. Created multiple social media and MORE events on calendar
  13. Created Membership files for Lapsed and expiring membership and daily thank you emails for new or renewing members.
  14. meeting with Loudoun County volunteer and planning commissioner stakeholder for trail access in LoCo

Steve DonTigny:

  1. IMBA All Staff calls
  2. GoToWebinar – Exploring the Outdoors: Partners in Outdoor Spaces
  3. Lake Fairfax Pumptrack event discussion
  4. PHTA Board Meeting
  5. Quantico Epic materials
  6. OA DMV planning call
  7. Phoenix Bikes Makers’ Ball & 10th Birthday Bash
  8. Outdoor Alliance Happy Hour
  9. Capital Trails Coalition meeting
  10. Hang Tag distribution
  11. REI Grand Opening-Rockville -Friday and Saturday
  12. Board Ride w/Kevin A.
  13. Loudoun County Planning Commissioner meeting
  14. MORE Women’s Ride and Clinic support activities
  15. MoCo Epic Team meeting
  16. MoCo Epic event:
    1. -budgeting
    2. permitting
    3. Aid Station and Sponsors contact
    4. Rental confirmations
    5. flyer production

Carlos Alfaro:

MORE Women’s MTB Ride for May 7, 2107:

  1. Changed the Park Permit maximum capacity (also gained a new Mt Vernon Volunteer, Britta S, who is the FCPA Park Permit Manager)
  2. Got Simona a new Sponsor to the basic skills clinic (contacted and got approval from wicked wash racing, 3 ladies to perform clinic)
  3. Got Simona a new sponsor for the Lunch (contacted and got approval from Spokes etc. to pay for the Lunch)
  4. Got Simona 6 secret backup bikes for lady riders (from Spokes Etc. , 6 Specialized Demo Bikes)
  5. Got Spokes Etc. to send Women’s Day Email invite to 40k customers in local area)
  6. Planned to pick up and deliver skills park set and any additional gear from Germantown storage locker
  7. Planned to set up MORE Tent and HQ for event to support Simona.

 

MORE Summer Festival:

  1. Got Specialized to bring a Tent, 6 S-works bikes, 6 Spokes Etc. Spec Demo bikes
  2. Need to get new beer sponsor
  3. Created action plan to distribute social media for invitations
  4. Created Map for placement of activities
  5. Created schedule of events for the day
  6. Will request from board, “should we do a BikeReg like MORE’s Women’s MTB ride?” maybe 10$ donation
  7. Will request from board, how do we ask for potluck.

MORE 25th Anniversary Gala:

  1. Volunteered with Ernie and Greg to get booze sponsors and provide back before next meeting.
  2. Greg Dwyer scored a great with win with DC Brau.
  3. Supported Steve DonTigny with REI new store opening and community day
  4. Attended with Steve and talked to people on Friday 4/30 8am-12pm about who is MORE.
  5. REI was happy we were there! New store looks great for future meetings.

Mt Vernon Park Trails:

  1. Met with Dan Stork April 18th to ask about status, and his recommendation.
  2. Met with Liz Cranuaer April 24th at the Lake Accotink public meeting about Mt Vernon Status
  3. Helped edit FCPA Map April 26th
  4. Continued to Perform Trail Maintenance
  5. Worked with Jeff Niner to get info about history of park permits for construction

Dave Magill:

  1. Worked with Tom Newton to finalize bridge designs and to accelerate the wetlands and erosion control permit applications for Patuxent
  2. Surveyed/flagged several miles of trail along the Pepco right of way in Montgomery county with Pepco and DNR personnel
  3. Several conference calls with large stakeholder groups to advance the Pepco trail
  4. Participated in Facebook discussions regarding IMBA, the chapter program, and MORE
  5. Discussed various local issues on Carroll county trails with county stakeholders
  6. Encouraged liaisons to develop signage programs that could be funded through the General Trails Fund or RTP grants
  7. Attended MoCo Epic planning meeting

Jonah Meyers:

  1. OA DMV planning call and initial planning of a town hall event with Maryland legislators
  2. Patapsco trail work
  3. Donations tracking
  4. SHA RTP grants planning process conversations with stakeholders and development of RTP grants introduction materials
  5. Calls for RTP grants already awarded to MORE

Aaron Richter:

  1. Worked on books,
  2. Worked on taxes and financial reports
  3. Paid bills & VA state registration
  4. Rode with Todd from Sandy spring Bank

Greg Dwyer:

  1. Initiated web and communications plan review w/select BoD, staff, and members
  2. Participated as BoD rep at “Intro to Bacon Ridge Day”, April 30th.
  3. Updated FB page w/Bacon Ridge, Cosca, and Fairland trail work days
  4.  contacted DC Brau & finalized beer donation for July 25th Anniversary Gala

Jonathon Kidwell:

  1. Updated MORE website with upcoming trail work days
  2. Followed up with liaisons to collect waivers from trail workdays

Tom Howe:

  1. Compiled the copy for the Trailhead Newsletter
  2. Wakefield Trail Workday with 20+ volunteers yielded 100+ man hours of trail love
  3. BoD Ride with Kevin Adams
  4. Dropped off MORE Hang Tags at Spokes Etc Quaker Lane location (my LBS)
  5. Helping to support the MORE Women’s MTB Day at Lake Accotink Park

Rob Lowe:

  1. Working on April BOD Minutes. Eta mid-May.
  2. Trailwork at Wakefield April 29th, Assistant Crew Leader and May 7th, Storm Remediation Work
  3. Lead Wakefield Casual Rides 3 of 4 weeks in April and 1st week of May 

Jeff Niner:

  1. MORE Womens’ Day preps
  2. MORE Womens’ Day on-the-day work (set up/tear down, MORE desk, etc.)
  3. VA Trail Liaison general correspondence
  4. 495 Jumps requirements engagement/planning
  5. Mt Vernon Park local civic association engagement preps
  6. Drafted short fundraising article for Trailhead News

Brad Hawk (MORE Ride Coordinator):

  1. No Update for April 2017 – On Travel in Europe for Work.

 

 

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply