Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of rollmonkey
    rollmonkey
    Participant

I sustained a head injury today at lake fairfax when I hit a new downed tree that extends across a downhill section at head level. This isn’t anyone’s fault but mine, but I was not carrying enough tools to saw the tree out and I hope someone can go out and mark it or saw it before anyone else has problems. My full face is totalled but I am not and will ride again another day.
    The tree is right at the beginning of a downhill section from the soccer fields. There are two downhill tracks here; the one on the right is more technical and begins with a series of rock step downs. In the landing zone for the second rock step down a six-inch tree has fallen at head level and it is both incredibly solid and nearly invisible. My buddy is a little lower on the bike and sailed right under it without seeing it. I sailed right into it without seeing it. Neck lightning, bright lights, the exploding sound, you name it.
    Did everything I could to mark the log and alert riders, but was injured and needed to hike it out. If anyone is out today let’s try to keep anyone else from getting hurt.
    Thanks all.
    -rm

Profile photo of ltdan12a
    ltdan12a
    Participant

Wow thanks for the heads up! Heal up quick!!

Profile photo of Rick Meyer (livedb)
    Rick Meyer (livedb)
    Participant

Not sure who the liaison is, but if it is dangerous, you should probably report it directly to the park ASAP
    Fallen/Dangerous Trees – Park Operations Division, 703-324-8594

Profile photo of rollmonkey
    rollmonkey
    Participant

Rick thanks for the info, I called them and left a report. The tree is hung up on a homeowner’s fence and the homeowner is aware. Some riders in the park let me know it’s been there unmarked for a few days. I’m a very tall rider and apparently for most riders the tree was high enough that it didn’t pose a hazard to them. Hopefully it is already sawed out or marked; if not it should happen today.
    I’m just in no shape to do it myself right now unfortunately.
    -rm

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.