Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Rob Lowe
    Participant

The Thursday Night Mixed ride is bought to you by MORE and The Bike Lane.

June 22 2017 – Ride is on, but expect generally slower speeds from the W@W racers. Now who’s seen my sandbag?

Lights! – Leave em at home unless you plan to ride past 820!

Accotink – Accotink is back in season! Sunset on the 15th is at 8:38 pm meaning we have to be out by 9:08 pm. No lights in Accotink!!!

Time: Rally 6 to 6:30 – Ride starts at 6:45 Sharp!
    Where We Ride: Wakefield and Accotink Park
    Location: We meet in the furthest in lot of the Audrey Moore Rec Ctr. Near the recycling containers. Look for my Silver Nissan Rogue. G’Maps Link.
    Duration: 1.5 to 2 Hours
    Distance: 7 to 12 Miles
    Groups: Multiple for the regular rides, typically at least a casual and an intermediate, often with others. For the Plan Series of rides we typically start and finish as one group.

Requirements:
    Helmet, Hydration, Functioning Bike and Lights (Sept thru Mid April) –
    We suggest at least 400 lumens. Many folks run 1000 lu or more between bar lights and helmet light.

Post Ride: PLB’s and Kilroy’s for food afterwards. Bring cash!

Sample Ride’s for Casual:
    Wakefield and Accotink – April thru Sept
    Wakefield Only – Winter Time

These below rides are typically 1 single group, though break-a-ways can and will happen.
    Plan B – B-Arlington Ride – Typically from Mile 0 of W&OD – Some people are faster, some people are slower.
    Plan C – Cross-County Thing Mixed Surface Ride – 12 MPH avg.
    Plan F – Fairfax Mixed Surface Ride North – 10 to 14 MPH avg, we usually stop in fairfax for a beverage then ride back.
    Plan V – Vienna Inn and Back – This is a 12 to 14 MPH avg pace. Try the 3 dog challenge!

Sample Ride’s for Intermediate:
    Wakefield and Accotink – April thru Sept – 9 MPH Avg
    Wakefield Only – Winter Time

Take a look here at the Accotink Creek data from right near the bridge under 495. This is one of my main tools for judging how wet the WF/Accotink area is. Click Here!

Rob Lowe
    Participant

April 13 – Ride is ON!

Rob Lowe
    Participant

April 20 – Hopefully the storms on Thursday miss the Wake-o-Tink quarter.

As usual if their are active T-storms at ride time we won’t be riding, if the storms are late we’ll sneak one in and if they are early we hope trails are just tacky. Stuff is really really dry so a bit of rain won’t be the end of us. A half inch or more will be problematic.

Rob Lowe
    Participant

Last week we snuck in our own Fast and Semi-Furious ride prior to the storms hitting. With rain the last 4 days out of 5 we may be on Plan B ride this week. Will try to update Thursday afternoon.

Rob Lowe
    Participant

Just got a update from MOBL and word is that Accotink is Okay to ride. Not great but not bad either. Low area’s I’m sure will be soggy we will avoid those. Same thing for Wakefield I bet also. 4-27-2017 – Ride is on.

Was mostly fine but a tad wet along the railway trail were the loam hadn’t dried out fully. Just beat the rain with finishing the casual ride at 8PM.

Rob Lowe
    Participant

Looks like we are gonna get this one in just before the rain for May 4. May the 4th be with us! 😛

Like last week we ended up getting a ride in before the rain started coming in at about 8:05. Though based on my observations, most rides could have gone till 8:30.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  Rob Lowe.

Rob Lowe
    Participant

June 1 – Ride is on for now but probably a MUT ride out to Oh George out near Mason and back. It’s a 16mile is round trip and it tends to move faster than usual as it’s mostly paved/mutt. Some road sections also for sure.

Rob Lowe
    Participant

Ride is on for June 8!

Rob Lowe
    Participant

june 15 – Ride is on baring huge storms at ride time!

Rob Lowe
    Participant

Ride is on for the 22nd for now, I think it should be dry.

And hot. And slow, lots of us race W@W on Wednesday so expect the usual post race grumbling and slowness.

Rob Lowe
    Participant

Ride is on for the 22nd for now, I think it should be dry.

And hot. And slow, lots of us race W@W on Wednesday so expect the usual post race grumbling and slowness.

Rob Lowe
    Participant

July 6th – Ride is off, trails are soaked after yesterday and today and T-storms randomly popping up means not even a good night for Plan B,

Rob Lowe
    Participant

For the upteenth week this quarter I’m out for Thursday. I will try and post up about ride status here and on FB by mid afternoon.

Hope no one melted at W@W4..

Rob Lowe
    Participant

Ride is on but bring plenty of water!
    Heat index will start at 100 and only drop to probably 90’s.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.