Go Back   MORE Forums > Community Forums > General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 13th, 2010

MORE Sport Class MORE Sport Class MORE Sport Class MORE Sport Class MORE Sport Class MORE Sport Class MORE Sport Class MORE Sport Class MORE Sport Class MORE Sport Class MORE Sport Class
Candidates for MORE 2011 Board

Following are the candidates for the MORE 2011 Board. Voting will begin on Wednesday, 12/15 at midnight and run through Wednesday, 12/22 at 11:59 pm.

PRESIDENT:
Jason Stoner (aka allroy) –
I have served as MORE President for the past three years. The majority of those three years were spent insuring there was stability for the club, from a leadership, volunteer and financial perspective to allow the club to keep doing what it does best. This is advocate, build and maintain the over 300 miles of trails we are responsible for throughout Maryland, DC and Virginia. This year if elected the goals I would like to help the club achieve are helping expand the club’s name and reputation and building up the social activities within the club. Some specific areas of focus for me are implementing a new website that is more robust and user-friendly, expanding the MORE brand with new t-shirts and jersey as well as revitalizing the club’s social activities so there are more events, rides and club functions for everyone to enjoy.

VICE PRESIDENT:
Dave Ferraro –
Bike Stuff:
I have been on a bicycle for 30 years.
Racing, riding, commuting, working, wrenching, touring - just about every bit of it.
BMX MD State Champion 10 expert, first ride at Patapsco in 1986, 11 consecutive years of 24hr racing, Leadville 100, Kinetic Sculpture, Pittsburgh to DC... thousands of miles in between.
I love steel bikes and riding with my kids. I like organizing rides that are long and choosing good spots to stop and chill with my friends. I have been a member of every trail advocacy group I can think of and if I am not off road on my mountain bike it might be a trail run, a hike or on my moto.
I have the words “only healthy in the dirt” tattooed on my back.

Professional Stuff:
I have been working in the non-profit world for 20 years. I have directed multi-million dollar projects and supervised diverse teams of professionals. I am highly organized, accountable and comfortable speaking in public as the representative of an organization. I have worked on teams that have been awarded grants by NEH, NEA and IMLS. I have worked on numerous marketing campaigns and have established contacts in the Baltimore/DC area. I am committed, educated voice on conservation and alternative ways of moving through our environment. I have an easy confidence and lots of high profile professional experience.

Personal Stuff:
40 years old, live within riding distance of Patapsco, 2 kids and like 15 bikes.
More info? – feel free to contact me at mrdaveferraro@gmail.com

What can I bring:
Lots of experience and energy.

MEMBERSHIP:
Jason Miller (aka Bandit) –
A Northern Virginia native, I started mountain biking in 1988, when my dad would take me out on the fire roads of Prince William Forest Park. While attending James Madison University, my passion for mountain biking was fully realized. There was nothing more exciting for me than hitting the trails on my bike. From the miles of great terrain just outside of town to the incredible support of the local mountain biking community, I had all I needed to fuel my passion for riding. After returning to Northern Virginia in 1997, I started riding with MORE, and I've been an active member ever since. In 2001, I served MORE in the position of Virginia-at-Large, and I am currently serving in the position of Vice President.

My term as Vice President is drawing to a close, and I would like to take this opportunity to shift my focus to issues of membership. I want to continue to help MORE do the extremely good work that it does. At this point, I think that the club can no longer be considered a young club, and I think that it is ready to begin the next phase in its development. The one aspect of the club that I would most like to see improved is membership. Specifically, I would like to see the membership numbers grow, and I would like to see greater involvement and input from the existing members. I believe that achieving these goals will strengthen our collective voice in the broader community and will lead to increased and improved riding opportunities, and I think that I can best serve this club by working to achieve these goals.

I believe in this organization and am committed to these goals, and that is why I am running for the position of Membership Director.

TREASURER:
Mike Stoll - see post below

TRAIL BOSS:
Rick McClain (aka rmac) - see post below

MD ADVOCACY DIRECTOR:
Pat Miller (aka patrickgmiller)–
MORE and mountain bikers throughout the country have made great progress over the past decade establishing themselves as responsible trail users and legitimate partners with land managers. As Maryland Advocacy Directory, I would like to build upon this progress locally by strengthening our relationships with both the land managers and our elected leaders.

Over the next year I hope to see much progress on some of MORE’s greatest Maryland priorities, including: Frederick Watershed reroute of Blue, MoCo Pump Track, Rockburn Skills Area, Seneca Connector, Annapolis Area Trails, and Loch Raven resolution.

VA ADVOCACY DIRECTOR:
Frank Raiti (aka rockhead)–
I believe this is a very significant time for mountain biking in general and more notably in our area. In the past three years since I started as Virginia Advocacy Director, we’ve made tons of headway on gaining access to new trails and promoting projects to revitalize existing trail systems and we have grown in credibility as a public land user group. There remain many challenges, such as advanced features and night riding, but in large part, access is no longer the biggest hurdle. We’re now limited more by our own capacity to simultaneously support multiple projects at various stages of maturity. I remain totally excited about our on-going projects such as Fountainhead, Lake Fairfax, Sully Woodlands, Meadowood, and several others, but my biggest challenge for 2011 will be to expand our club’s capacity to advocate for our sport. I look forward to another great year.

MD AT LARGE:
Denis Chazelle (aka denisvtt)-
Who am I: My name is Denis Chazelle. Originally from Europe, I have lived in the Washington area for about 25 years, been a decently active mountain biker for the last 8, and a MORE member since 2004. While I have ridden trails in Europe, Canada and the US, I would be hard-pressed to name another major metropolitan area in the world with as much world-class mountain biking so close by as Washington has. For the last 2 years, I have been able to ride local trails up to 200 times a year and yet rarely repeat the same route. The generally good riding weather year-round makes it even better.

Why I am running: as mentioned above, I love mountain biking around here. I also think being a member of MORE is the single best way to not only enjoy those trails, but also to help improve them. If elected, being a member of the Board of Directors’ in the At-Large position should give me an opportunity to get involved in areas where I think we could do even better than we have been. I want to help grow the membership, offer more rides, more opportunities to socialize, more special events, etc… I also want to work towards more transparency at the Board level, and represent members’ interests.

What have I done with MORE: 2 years ago, I was named Ride Leader of the Year and received a Silver Spoke Award for it. This year, with the help of many volunteers, I organized the MoCo Epic in Montgomery County, MD. The supported ride had 150 participants and 50+ volunteers, raised $5,200 for the club, and generated 34 new Club members. Many of the riders were discovering the trails for the first time. The MoCo Epic was also named as an IMBA Epic. Over the last 3 years, I have also led more than 60 rides.

What would I do if elected to the position:
- Work towards improving members’ satisfaction level and attract new members by regularly polling our community about what it is mountain bikers want from the Club. Act on actionable findings.
- Improve number of members by reaching out to potential members via advertising in bike shops, and partnering with them.
- Have more events such as the MoCo Epic to generate interest in the local trails, our activities, as well as improve overall goodwill towards the Club.
- Improve number of members by reaching out to non-members during club rides, for example by giving them a postcard-sized registration form at the end of scheduled rides.
- Start a “Weekend Club Ride” program that would guarantee at least one weekend group ride until the spring (Saturday or Sunday) and two after May 1 (Saturday AND Sunday). A post-ride “social time” at a local bar or restaurant will also be part of most of those rides. Finally, I will attempt to have local merchants sponsor some or all of those rides.
- Work towards more transparency in general at the Board level. For example, it shouldn’t be difficult to find out how many members we have or how much money is raised every year. Right now, it is difficult. I will ask that regular reports be published on a regular basis in the MORE forums, with an opportunity for members and even non-members to discuss them.
- Work towards having meeting minutes published in forum threads where members and even non-members can discuss the decisions taken.
- Work towards better communication between the Board and MORE members.
- Try to recruit volunteers to help with some of the above tasks, particularly for reaching out to potential members.

VA AT LARGE:
Sarah Richards (aka greenbean)–
I've had a bike for as long as I can remember. I bought my first mountain bike in 1993, started mountain biking in 2005 (and promptly got hooked!), discovered MORE in 2009, and the rest is history! Since that time, I have been an active member, a regular participant in weekly group rides, and an enthusiastic advocate for the club. But I want to do more. I'm ready to start giving back and taking a more formal role in furthering the interests of all mountain bikers in the Northern Virginia area.

A native of Northern Virginia, I have spent a lifetime seeking opportunities to explore my world, both at home and away. I grew up in different parts of the Accotink Creek watershed, and I used to ride my bike between Camelot and Mantua and from home to Wakefield and Accotink along what is now the CCT. As much as I love to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city and the suburbs, I also love that I live in an area such as ours that is so rich in outdoor recreational opportunities right here in our own backyard. And I know that in terms of mountain biking, those recreational opportunities would not be what they are today were it not for the hard work and strong positive influence of MORE.

I have a BS in recreation management and outdoor experiential education, have been a ski instructor since 1990, and have a professional background in communications, marketing, program planning, writing/editing, and teaching. I believe this combination of professional and academic experience makes me uniquely suited to serve the club in any number of ways, and I am committed to using my talents to further the mission of the club.

Some areas that I am interested in exploring include membership and communications, increasing participation in club activities, offering more skills clinics, and building and maintaining positive working relationships with land managers and other user groups. I believe that the Virginia-at-Large position is one that will allow me to better understand the inner workings of the club while I further refine my personal goals within the board.

Last edited by MORE; December 14th, 2010 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Added links