Go Back   MORE Forums > News and Information > Access News

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 25th, 2009

MORE Sport Class MORE Sport Class MORE Sport Class MORE Sport Class MORE Sport Class MORE Sport Class MORE Sport Class MORE Sport Class MORE Sport Class MORE Sport Class MORE Sport Class
The MORE $7000 Match Challenge!

The MORE $7000 Match Challenge!

MORE has been very busy this year raising funds for “The Fountainhead Project” (The FHP). And good things are starting to come together!

In June, REI awarded MORE a grant for $7000 to begin the Phase I construction of the Fountainhead Project! Last week, lifetime MORE member Tom O’Sullivan and his family donated an additional $7000 to the Project. As a direct result of Tom’s donation, the MORE Board has voted to implement an additional matching program between the club and any new contributions. MORE and the O’Sullivan family challenge other DC Metro Area MTB’ers to give what they can to help out this very worthy cause.

The MORE $7000 Match Challenge starts TODAY!

For every dollar contributed to the Fountainhead Project (up to $7000), MORE will match that donation!!

MORE has agreed to match up to $7000 in individual donations to get Phase I done as soon as possible! Talk about an investment! $1 = $2, you can’t beat that.

Completion of the Phase I design is integral to the Fountainhead Project and the riders who use these trails. These first projects in Phase I will serve as a showcase for the entire FHP!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Along with the donations mentioned above the FHP has also secured $10,000 in Trek/IMBA funds, raised almost $4,000 in individual donations through the Fountainheadproject.org website, and has received $4,650 in SRAM funds from Team IMBA/MORE at the Massenutten HooHa.

Currently, the Fountainhead Project has enough funds to complete two out of the four trail projects outlined in the Phase I design. However, MORE is challenging each and every mountain biker to make a donation so that by this Fall there will be enough funds to contract and complete all four projects. The more money the FHP raises the more projects that will get done!!!!!

Take the Challenge and Make your Contribution TODAY and double it with the MORE $7000 Match Challenge!

Help the FHP build Phase I. Let’s get this project started! We can do it!
((Please see below for the Phase I project descriptions))

The Fountainhead Project (FHP)
Phase I
A list of the proposed Phase I Fountainhead Redesign Projects are described below. The projects are prioritized in the order that MORE wishes them to be contracted and constructed. The total number of projects to be completed in the initial Phase One construction will be determined by the amount of funds MORE has at the time of construction. The more funds MORE has the more projects get done!

Project One: Jack Rabbit Run: Jack Rabbit Run is a long ridge top downhill trail that does not take advantage of any of the surrounding side slope. The enhanced trail will shift the existing tread from the fall line to the sides with slope. The redesigned trail will also include banked turns and whoops for a fast and swoopy trail ride experience. There is the possibility that the banked turns can be built so that more experienced riders can jump from one to another. However this can only be determined once the trail builders are on the ground. This project will use 90% mechanized trail building and approximately 10% volunteer’s force.
Linear Feet: 1710 Estimated Project Cost: $10,500

Project Two: Woodpecker Hill: Woodpecker Hill is very short and steep fall line trail with a grade of 25% and more. This project will exchange 500 feet of trail with .75 miles of new trail. The proposed new trail will be a combination of fast and flowing contour trail and technical single track. The new proposed trail would have long sections that could be built by mostly volunteer labor. MORE recommends using funds to provide an optional short and steep armored hill for riders who do not want to lose the Woodpecker Hill experience.
Linear Feet: 4695 Estimated Project Cost: $18,500

Project Three: New Shock-a-Billy Alternate: The current Shock-a-Billy reroute was an attempt by MORE to provide an easier descent for users not wishing to use Shock-a-Billy. In its current condition the Alternate line is actually harder than Shock-a-Billy. This project would create a new alternate trail while leaving the original descent down the Shock-a-Billy Trail. This alternate would branch at the first Shock-a-Billy grade-break and follow the contour of the hillside to where the existing alternative starts to descend. The new construction will include multiple descending ledges (drops) and two berms. This project does not include construction at the bottom of Shock-a-Billy.
Linear Feet: 450 Estimated Project Cost: $14,500

Project Four: Skinny Hollow Climb: The proposed Skinny Hollow Climb out from the picnic table area will serve as the entrance to the RED (most difficult) loop. In essence this climb will act as the “Qualifier” for riders transitioning from the Blue experience to the Red experience. The proposed construction will include steep climbing sections (up to 30%) that will be decked to protect the natural surface below. Also included in the design is a rolling serpentine boardwalk with the potential for natural surface sections and rock ledges as well.
Linear Feet: 520 Estimated Project Cost: $22,000

or goto www.fountainheadproject.org

or mail checks, payable to MORE, to this address:

MORE
PO BOX 2662
Fairfax, Va 22031

Last edited by mtbmore; July 25th, 2009 at 08:44 PM.