PDA

View Full Version : Grip shift - evolution

SamCKayak
September 19th, 2005, 11:47 AM
I'd like to replace the 7-speed grip shifts on my cannondale F500 with 9-speed Shimano thumb shifters.

Can I fit a 9-speed cassette on this rear hub or do I need a new hub? I guess I'll stick with 7 speed if this is a problem.

Anyone got a set of thumb shifters / cassette for sale?

Sam

markie
September 19th, 2005, 12:12 PM
9 speed uses a wider cassette body than 7 speed. It wont work.

I think 7 speed was better than 9 speed will ever be.

SamCKayak
September 19th, 2005, 02:02 PM
9 speed uses a wider cassette body than 7 speed. It wont work.

I think 7 speed was better than 9 speed will ever be.
Okay. 7 speed it is. What cassette do you like for peddling around Schaeffer? Mine is the original (years worn) and ready for replacement. I'm thinking I need a larger innermost gear than I have.

Can I replace my grip shifters with thumb shifters and keep my Shimano LX derailers?

markie
September 19th, 2005, 02:09 PM
I only ride single speed.

Yeah you can get trigger shifters or thumbshifters that will work and a new cassette. You might need to use ebay.....

TMayhew
September 19th, 2005, 02:10 PM
What year is bike/wheel? Toward the tail end of the 7-speed era, some manufacturers were simply using a spacer with a 7-speed cassette on an 8-speed hub. Lower models got the 7-speed/spacer dealio while the higher models got the brand spanking new 8-speed drivetrain. If yours is using the spacer to eat up the extra space on an 8-speed hub, there's no reason that I can think of why you couldn't upgrade to 8 or 9 since both require the same spacing as the 7/spacer setup.

If that's not the case, and you decide to get a new hub to make it work, check your frame spacing (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html) before dropping any cash. Some 7-speeds had a spacing of 130mm where new frames have 135mm.

BadMammaJamis
September 19th, 2005, 04:25 PM
indexing wont be the same resulting in crappy shifting.

SamCKayak
September 19th, 2005, 06:20 PM
The rear hub is a Shimano Acera X (FH-M290). Specifications (http://www.bikepro.com/products/shimano_tables/98_tables/shim_freehub98_table.html)

It looks like a 7 speed hub.

I guess this means I need a Shimano 7 speed thumb shifter...

drtnsnw
September 20th, 2005, 08:23 AM
I have a set of old-school Deore top mount 7 speed shifters...

DKEG
September 20th, 2005, 08:43 AM
I have a set of 7 speed Deore XT Shifters & brake lever combo for cheep. They are in great condition. along with a XT rear der.

SamCKayak
September 20th, 2005, 09:59 AM
I have a set of 7 speed Deore XT Shifters & brake lever combo for cheep. They are in great condition. along with a XT rear der.
Sounds like a fit. I'll be at Schaeffer lunchtime today :eek: , otherwise, I'll send you my contact info off-list.