PDA

View Full Version : Fox vs. RockShox 29er fork

tomn
June 6th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Hey yall,

I'm in the market for a 100mm 29er fork with 9mm QR axle. I am down to the Fox Float 29 vs. the RockShox Reba. I just can't understand why the Fox forks are so expensive. Is it really worth an extra $200 for that fork?

Best prices I can find are around $415 for the RockShox and $610 for the Fox.

I have a Fox fork on my other 29er and really like it. I have heard the RockShox forks can be a bit flexy. But $200 would buy a lot of beer.

Any opinions or experience would be appreciated.

RRRJ
June 6th, 2012, 10:49 AM
The older Rebas are flexy, but the new stuff is pretty good. I've got a newish (bought last year) 29er Reba RLT that I like, way better than the older Reba 29er forks. Its not perfect, but its pretty good - at some point I will probably send it to Push but it works well enough now.

tsunayoshi
June 6th, 2012, 11:39 AM
I have an '09 Reba RLT on one bike (@80mm, used to be 100mm) and a '08-'09 Fox F100 on another, I can't really say I notice a difference between the two flex wise, but they are totally different bikes (steep 29er HT and slacker 29er FS).

My next bike (if I can swing it) I am looking at a Fox Terralogic fork w/ the Kashima coating, pricey but I like the set-it-and-forget-it concept of the Terralogic.

MMMark
June 6th, 2012, 11:50 AM
I have one of each on my Niners and while I have no complaints with either of them I'd probably save the money and buy the Reba. I can't feel a $200 difference in performance. The Fox fork replaced an older Reba and that thing was a noodle.

denisvtt
June 6th, 2012, 12:39 PM
The Fox is smoother. No question.

But....!

Fox forks, and particularly the F29 in my experience, leak oil and need considerable maintenance (Fox recommends every 2 months or 600 miles, IINM) and occasional rebuilds!

Next time you're in the Schaeffer parking lot for the Thursday night ride or anywhere for a big ride, check people's forks: almost every single Fox has visible leaked oil on the stanchions.

None of the Rebas do that.

My Fox 29 on my FS was a maintenance nightmare. I switched to a Reba about a year and a half ago and I haven't even put air in it since. I've only had a Reba on my HT, and zero maintenance so far (1 year, 6,000 miles).

rciracing
June 6th, 2012, 02:19 PM
I've got both and I would vote for the Reba. Fox may feel a tad bit smoother and their lock out is better but you will be doing service on it annually. I've had every year Reba 29er since 2006 and I've never had to service any of them. The older ones were flexy but they fixed that in 2009. Oh and your lbs can probably do better then $415 on a Reba....if not, I'll sell you a new in box 2012 for less then $400.

tomn
June 6th, 2012, 03:33 PM
I've got both and I would vote for the Reba. Fox may feel a tad bit smoother and their lock out is better but you will be doing service on it annually. I've had every year Reba 29er since 2006 and I've never had to service any of them. The older ones were flexy but they fixed that in 2009. Oh and your lbs can probably do better then $415 on a Reba....if not, I'll sell you a new in box 2012 for less then $400.

pm sent.

jabrabu
June 6th, 2012, 03:42 PM
I went from a 2011 Reba RL 130mm to a 2012 Fox Float RLT 120mm. I'm not sure what people mean by the Fox being smoother. I felt that the Reba was more plush and absorbed small bumps better. The Fox does feel less flexy and I find it does its job without me noticing it, which is a good thing. Maybe that's what is meant by it being smoother. I also feel like the Fox has a more progressive spring rate, which I like, but others may prefer a more linear rate.

I have had no leakage issues with my Fox fork, but it did come with very little oil in the fork legs. I noticed that the stanchions seemed very dry and small bump compliance wasn't as good I thought it should be, so I opened them up and very little oil came out. They work a lot better now with the proper amount of oil in them.

Tuning these forks is pretty complicated for both. There is a thread on mtbr.com on Reba fine tuning that is 19 pages long:
http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/reba-fine-tuning-183213-19.html
I posted some questions about Fox fork fine tuning, and nobody seemed to have a clue.

I like how the lockout lever on the Reba worked -- I could set it to a middle setting and it would provide some platform while still absorbing bumps well. The Fox lockout is more on/off. There is a low-speed compression setting on the Fox that provides some platform, but it also seems to hurt small bump compliance a lot. Like I said, tuning these can be complicated.

rockhead
June 6th, 2012, 10:33 PM
As always, YMMV, right?

I've got three Rebas (one's a 26er) - two leak like sieves and the other sticks like it was coated with sand (that's my newest one). I also have three Fox forks which are butter-smooth and have never been serviced and never leaked.

Not sure if it's the flex or lack of "smoothness", but the Rebas just don't feel right to me. So for me it is worth the $200 extra - I'm done buying anything but Fox forks.

In fact, if any of you Reba guys want to trade me for your Fox 29er forks - even leakers, I'd be happy to hook you up. :D

crashmore
June 7th, 2012, 09:16 AM
As always, YMMV, right?

I've got three Rebas (one's a 26er) - two leak like sieves and the other sticks like it was coated with sand (that's my newest one). I also have three Fox forks which are butter-smooth and have never been serviced and never leaked.

Not sure if it's the flex or lack of "smoothness", but the Rebas just don't feel right to me. So for me it is worth the $200 extra - I'm done buying anything but Fox forks.

In fact, if any of you Reba guys want to trade me for your Fox 29er forks - even leakers, I'd be happy to hook you up. :D

I think it's a matter of personal preference and luck. I've had the top end fox stuff on a few bikes and I just never liked the feel of them. I really wanted to but just didn't dig any of them. I've got RockShox on all my bikes now; one of which I had push do their service and upgrade on. The pushed fork is probably the best feeling fork I've ever ridden.

ewagner
June 7th, 2012, 09:17 AM
I've got three 2009 forks: two Reba's (80mmm SL/QR and 120mm Team/20mm) and one 80mm Fox (QR). If it were me, I'd save the $200 as I find the Reba's are fine for a slightly less blingy fork (one other note: neither of the Reba's feel flexy in my experience). Maintenance might lean a bit toward the Fox (historically at least) but may be less of a factor with their latest and greatest offerings. Lastly, the Fox has a bit of a different feel- smoother somehow... not sure if it is a less abrupt rebound or what; can't quite put my finger on it. Not worth the extra ducketts in my opinion.

stevenanewton
June 7th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Tom, have you looked at the Manitou Tower (http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=46958)? Expert model has a steel steerer, 4.2 lbs, $373 at Universal.

Pro model has an aluminum steerer, butted legs, and a better air spring. 3.74 lbs, $500 at Universal.

I've heard great things about the Tower. Some of our riding buddies have had great results with the 26" version of this fork, the Minute.

tomn
June 7th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Tom, have you looked at the Manitou Tower (http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=46958)? Expert model has a steel steerer, 4.2 lbs, $373 at Universal.

Pro model has an aluminum steerer, butted legs, and a better air spring. 3.74 lbs, $500 at Universal.

I've heard great things about the Tower. Some of our riding buddies have had great results with the 26" version of this fork, the Minute.

Yeah I looked at Manitou. I have had good success with my Minute fork. Just can't get past spending more than $400 for a sub 4 pound fork. Grr.

dug_vinson
June 7th, 2012, 09:06 PM
I had a Reba RLC on my 29er. Liked it well enough til I got a Fox, which I like tons better. It is, in a word, "smoother" and feels bottomless, whereas the Reba felt like I was always about to bottom out. I just put a new Talas 180 with Kashima coating on another bike, and it is to die for!
I also believe that it is worth upgrading wheel and fork to a thru axle. Those big wheels need all the help they can get!

raymo853
November 19th, 2012, 06:24 AM
Yeah I looked at Manitou. I have had good success with my Minute fork. Just can't get past spending more than $400 for a sub 4 pound fork. Grr.

I am not sure I understand, but are stating the Tower Pro weighs too little? The Tower Pro weighs more than the Fox 29er forks like the Float and less than the Talas.

Regardless, I have been running a Tower Pro 80 mm 9mm for the last two years. Just yesterday, I ordered a new one, 80 mm 15QR, for a second bike. Best fork I have ever had.

raymo853
November 19th, 2012, 06:26 AM
Here is a good review of the Tower Pro. The guy's voice is a bit monotone, but the way he shoots video on the trail is great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BixsNLZiqgA

Nysjeld
January 28th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Hey yall,

I'm in the market for a 100mm 29er fork with 9mm QR axle. I am down to the Fox Float 29 vs. the RockShox Reba. I just can't understand why the Fox forks are so expensive. Is it really worth an extra $200 for that fork?

Best prices I can find are around $415 for the RockShox and $610 for the Fox.

I have a Fox fork on my other 29er and really business reviews (http://reviewtoo.com) like it. I have heard the RockShox forks can be a bit flexy. But $200 would buy a lot of beer.

Any opinions or experience would be appreciated.

Hello
Yes Fox forks are too expensive but there quality is much improved then Rockshox. Now it all depends on the amount of money you have.

crashmore
January 28th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Hello
Yes Fox forks are too expensive but there quality is much improved then Rockshox. Now it all depends on the amount of money you have.

I think you could argue that as a matter of opinion.

osty
January 28th, 2013, 06:23 PM
meh....fox is whas up!!!!

jabberwocky
January 28th, 2013, 06:43 PM
I've had both. Forks are pretty equal IME; I'd give the edge to Rockshox actually, but its more preference than anything. I've never had a Fox rear shock that was anything but mediocre though. Trading my RP23 to a Monarch was a massive improvement.

osty
January 28th, 2013, 08:06 PM
meh.....Fox is whas up! LOL:p

osty
January 28th, 2013, 08:08 PM
honestly, i've never rode anything but Fox...except for DH fork...and the 40 is MUCH better than a boxxer.....but I know that's not what's being talked about

BikerMiker
January 28th, 2013, 08:22 PM
I'd argue BoXXer over Fox40 all. Day. Long.

mk

osty
January 28th, 2013, 08:29 PM
naw....even though the 40 is like what approx. 1lb. heavier over various boxxer models????? The 40 is more plush and DEFF. stiffer....
wait, aren't you like a Sram/Rockshox rep or something????:p

osty
January 28th, 2013, 08:31 PM
I will argue all day that the float 34 29r is BY FAR better than any Rockshox 29r fork....as long as the frame supports it..be it HT size or travel...