PDA

View Full Version : Roof Rack

Squirrel_Girl
March 31st, 2005, 06:28 PM
As I posted in another thread earlier today, I'm thinking of getting a used, cheap Honda Civic or something similiar. I've never had a roof rack, but would want one for that car. Many of the used cars I've looked at have sun/moon roofs. Can you put a roof rack over a roof with a "window"?

tsteele999
March 31st, 2005, 08:20 PM
As I posted in another thread earlier today, I'm thinking of getting a used, cheap Honda Civic or something similiar. I've never had a roof rack, but would want one for that car. Many of the used cars I've looked at have sun/moon roofs. Can you put a roof rack over a roof with a "window"?

Hi SG,

I had a '96 Civic, best car I've ever owned, and I wish I still had it. I used a Yakima rack with steelhead trays and had no conflicts with the moonroof. In fact, it is really the only practical reason to have a moonroof- so you can see your bikes while you're driving.

A warning though- if you get a coupe(2-door) you definitly need the stretch kit Yakima sells, otherwise the towers are too close together and it cuts down the max weight. The stretch kit spreads out the towers, it used to cost about 100 bucks just for the kit.

Do you know why chicken coupes only have 2 doors? If not, they'd be chicken sedans.

ODG
March 31st, 2005, 08:54 PM
I've had several cars with moon/sun roofs and have had no problems mounting racks to them. About the only downside is the added wind noise you get from the rack when you open the moon roof. I knew I was going to mount a rack on the last car I bought so I opted not to get the moon roof. Adding to what tsteele said...it is nice to be able to look up and see that your bike is still there. ;-)

gaz
March 31st, 2005, 09:15 PM
My Jetta has a sunroof (or moonroof. what's the difference?!) and the roof's where I keep my bike. As ODG says though, roof racks create a lot of noise, so unless you snag a fairing as well, be prepared for that when the sunroof is open.

When buying your roof rack, go to Craigslist. I picked up my Thule towers, load bars, and eight lock cores on there for $75. All I needed to buy was the fit kit and a bike tray. I've recently seen full setups, including two trays selling for $200, which is half of what they'd cost new.

The other benefit, the towers are pretty weighty, so you could rent them out to Craig for CBT purposes, and make some of your money back...

tsteele999
April 1st, 2005, 06:49 AM
One thing I thought of last night, re: Civics.

In Honda's infinite wisdom, the timing belt on civics needs to be changed every 60k miles, anything over and you have a ticking time bomb. The water pump is in front of the timing belt and I was told that it should be replaced every other time.

This adds some expense to owning/operating, and as far as buying used, I would ask for proof that the belt was changed if over the 60/120/180 mile mark.

This applies to the older body style, 95-2000 or so, maybe they changed it for the new style, not sure.

gaz
April 1st, 2005, 09:56 AM
Yeah, I have heard not the greatest things from Civic owners about their maintenance. Accords too, I guess - my girlfriend has an older Accord, 97 or so, and seems to have to spend a few hundred bucks every other month on getting something replaced.

To be honest, I'd advise going VW - I absolutely love my Jetta, handles really well, great pickup, great milage, and looks good too. I know Peter would concur that VW would be the way to go, and would probably know of some very well maintained used cars in his circuit. Rather than a Civic, snag a Golf, or mebbe even a GTI!

tsteele999
April 1st, 2005, 10:37 AM
Yeah, I have heard not the greatest things from Civic owners about their maintenance. Accords too, I guess - my girlfriend has an older Accord, 97 or so, and seems to have to spend a few hundred bucks every other month on getting something replaced.

To be honest, I'd advise going VW - I absolutely love my Jetta, handles really well, great pickup, great milage, and looks good too. I know Peter would concur that VW would be the way to go, and would probably know of some very well maintained used cars in his circuit. Rather than a Civic, snag a Golf, or mebbe even a GTI!

Downside to VW: Premium gas, at least in turbo models. High cost of replacement parts. We had a 98 Passat that I was happy to see go. No more German cars for me.

Dirt
April 1st, 2005, 10:43 AM
My Jetta has a sunroof (or moonroof. what's the difference?!)

A moon roof is one that is big enough to stick your naked butt out of.

I can't think of anything helpful to say that hasn't already been said yet.

Have a nice day.

Pete

gaz
April 1st, 2005, 11:14 AM
A moon roof is one that is big enough to stick your naked butt out of.

Ooh, I'd need one of those big panoramic jobbies then... :cool:

RetroG
April 1st, 2005, 01:21 PM
http://www.orsracksdirect.com/

Very satisfied with it.

bigbadbrad
April 1st, 2005, 06:50 PM
As I posted in another thread earlier today, I'm thinking of getting a used, cheap Honda Civic or something similiar. I've never had a roof rack, but would want one for that car.

Yo, SG-- saw a few of your namesakes out on the trail early this morning. ;)

But seriously, as an old college roommate used to say, coupla points--

1) my dad has owned Hondas for 25 years, swears by them, great experience. Even recently sold my mother's '87 Prelude, 100K+ miles, rusty as hell, for about $1K! Mechanically solid.

2) I have a set of Thule 400 feet I'll sell you cheap. They may work for said car, you may just need to get a "fit kit".

PM me if interested.

Ride on!
--Brad

P.S.-- are you ditching the truck? :confused:

esfand
April 1st, 2005, 07:02 PM

Hondas are much more reliable than VW's. This, I thought, was common knowledge. VW's possess the bling, though.

Squirrel_Girl
April 1st, 2005, 07:45 PM
Yo, SG-- saw a few of your namesakes out on the trail early this morning. ;)Chitter!!!
P.S.-- are you ditching the truck? :confused:Oh, no. There are times when a truck is the perfect vehicle. But most of the time it's a waste in the metro area. I don't need to be wearing out my expensive truck carting my bike 20-30 miles over to Wakefield once or twice a week. And a 2 hour round trip once or twice each weekend. While a cheap little car would be more gas efficient, it would also cost a lot less to maintain and repair.
A moon roof is one that is big enough to stick your naked butt out of. I'll take one of those!

The other benefit, the towers are pretty weighty, so you could rent them out to Craig for CBT purposes, and make some of your money back...Aw, heck, Craig's all talk and no action. On the other hand, since he forgot his MORE Forum password, he's not even that! Come on, Craig, just send off to get your PW reset!

As far as the Honda vs VW issue, someone at work told me that this month in Consumer Reports, they have used cars rated. I glanced at it briefly and I vaguely remember that VWs didn't get rated well. I have yet to study the article to figure all that out.

jks9199
April 2nd, 2005, 09:29 PM
My Jetta has a sunroof (or moonroof. what's the difference?!) .

Werewolves and vampires...

Jim